Mr. Rescue - Beta, looking for feedback!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
SimonLarsen
Party member

Mr. Rescue - Beta, looking for feedback!

Post by SimonLarsen »

★ Mr. Rescue ★
Mr. Rescue is a silly, fast-paced platformer about putting out fire and throwing people out the window.

We've been working on it on-off for quite some time now and while it still not finished,
we've gotten to a point where we could really use some feedback.

Most of the core features are implemented but a lot of stuff is still missing including:
  • Most sound effects and some music
  • Bosses are not finished
  • Missing menus
  • Joystick support is bad and non-existent in some menus
★ Screenshots ★
6.png
6.png (10.05 KiB) Viewed 347 times
4.png
4.png (6.44 KiB) Viewed 347 times
More screenshots at http://tangramgames.dk/games/mrrescue/

★ Wanna try it? ★
If you want to try it out download the attached LÖVE package.
The current version includes a how to you should read,
but it is only a draft so here's a couple of important things to know:
  • You rescue civilians by throwing them out the window.
  • You are not required to put of fire and should only do so when necessary.
  • Each level contains three coolants which you will need to keep your suit from overheating.
  • The blue tank in you hud is you water tank.
    Depleting it completely will make your watergun overheat so keep an eye on you water usage.
Any feedback is very welcome. Is it too hard? Is anything unintuitive? Did you find any bugs?
Attachments
mrrescue-test2.love
Test version 2
(9.42 MiB) Downloaded 228 times
mrrescue-test.love
Test version 1
(9.45 MiB) Downloaded 171 times
Last edited by SimonLarsen on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Mr. Rescue - Beta, looking for testers!

Post by Jasoco »

Love it. The art style. The color choices. The music. Who did the music?
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

When you assaign the up and jump button to one button, then you can jump, but not clime stairs. Appart from that, is a really good game :)
Codex
Party member

Post by Codex »

Just play-tested it. Artwork and music stand apart. Fun, even though I tried it a dozen times and still couldn't beat it! :crazy:

Oh and no major bugs or flaws that I saw.
timmeh42
Citizen

Post by timmeh42 »

Pretty slick, but I found picking up people to be fiddley, and throwing them out windows even more so - maybe make your man throw em a bit higher so you dont have to time a jump?

Also, "press any key" only let me press enter :P

EDIT: The heat bar isn't very noticable - unlike the bright blue water bar which is easy to keep an eye on, I was completely caught off gaurd by overheating.
The rate at which doors break / enemies die is also frustrating for a while, as there isn't really an indicaion of the enemy's hp remaining (that i noticed?).

Also also, 'how to play' has a screen showing the heat bar, but the 'overheated' example bar only has a drop shadow part of the way (Im guessing you copypasta'd it from the other bar.)

</nitpick>
SimonLarsen
Party member

Post by SimonLarsen »

Jasoco wrote:Love it. The art style. The color choices. The music. Who did the music?
I did actually. The music (and sound effects) are all made with FamiTracker.
I was kind of hoping 0.9.0 would be out in time for release so we could use NSF modules instead and reduce the LÖVE package size from ~9.9MB to ~400KB.
master both wrote:When you assaign the up and jump button to one button, then you can jump, but not clime stairs. Appart from that, is a really good game
The game controls like Contra so up is used for aiming up. I've just removed the ability to bind different actions to the same key to avoid any confusion.
SimonLarsen
Party member

Post by SimonLarsen »

timmeh42 wrote:Pretty slick, but I found picking up people to be fiddley, and throwing them out windows even more so - maybe make your man throw em a bit higher so you dont have to time a jump?

EDIT: The heat bar isn't very noticable - unlike the bright blue water bar which is easy to keep an eye on, I was completely caught off gaurd by overheating.
The rate at which doors break / enemies die is also frustrating for a while, as there isn't really an indicaion of the enemy's hp remaining (that i noticed?).

Also also, 'how to play' has a screen showing the heat bar, but the 'overheated' example bar only has a drop shadow part of the way (Im guessing you copypasta'd it from the other bar.)

</nitpick>
Thanks. I really appreciate the nitpicking.
What about picking people up do you find fiddley? Do you have to be closer than you would expect?
We've been considering removing the need to jump when throwing people. On one hand it introduces a hilarious element of frustration in tight situations but at the same time it can be somewhat tedious.
no_akira
Prole

Re: Mr. Rescue - Beta, looking for feedback!

Post by no_akira »

The "IT Crowd" in a updated SNES game.................... lol ( Sorry just realised how international this thread is, IT Crowd was a UK TV geek comedy )

You need a "rescue the internet" little black box with a flashing LED on it.

Theres Moss and Roy and I suppose Jen is the Red haired lady.

I couldn't see anything wrong but still on the first building.

Some rainbow colouring to the leaderboard just to give it that retro game feel.
Last edited by no_akira on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darky
Citizen

Post by Darky »

Waw, really cool design !

On OSX, you can't climb ladders or enter your name with a xbox360 controller :(
http://darky-ben.fr/Xut my webcomic (french)
lukaserritsoe
Prole

Post by lukaserritsoe »

Darky wrote:Waw, really cool design !

On OSX, you can't climb ladders or enter your name with a xbox360 controller :(
Generelly controller support is pretty iffy at the moment :)
timmeh42 wrote:Pretty slick, but I found picking up people to be fiddley, and throwing them out windows even more so - maybe make your man throw em a bit higher so you dont have to time a jump?

</nitpick>
We need all the nitpicking we can get, thanks a lot!

i've been doing some mockups trying to resolve the problem with the heatbar, as you stated it's easily the least noticeable part of the HUD.
I'm also planning to add some graphical cues for when you're close enough to pick up a person, and some indication of enemy health.

again, we really appreciate critical responses!