SpinPong

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Rad3k
Citizen

SpinPong

Post by Rad3k »

Here's my first LÖVE project that reached a playable form. Inspired by Pong (duh!) and a flash game named Curveball. It's far from finished, but the basic gameplay is already there in almost final shape. The main difference from Pong is that you can make the ball rotate, and this rotation will affect its path. At the moment, only basic 2-player mode is available.

Controls:
W, S - left paddle
Up, Down - right paddle
Space - launch the ball
Escape - show pause menu

To do:
  • 1-player mode with AI opponent and high scores
  • another, slightly different 2-player mode
  • better/more gfx
  • sound
Attachments
Pong.love
The game, for LÖVE 0.7.2
(22.15 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: SpinPong

Post by nevon »

That was surprisingly fun!
Rad3k
Citizen

Post by Rad3k »

I'm glad that you liked it :)
vpdp_pc
Prole

Post by vpdp_pc »

Awesome! Your skill in math is good :cool:
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Fun little game! :neko:
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

At first I was like, okay yeah pong.

Then I noticed they started spinning (as alluded by the title) and my friend and I were like holy shit this is fun.
Rad3k
Citizen

Post by Rad3k »

Thanks guys, good to hear you find it fun :)

I'm working on on some more game modes, but first I'll need to do some refactoring to make room for this. But I already have the ideas:

Alternative 2-player mode:
Every time a player hits the ball, he gets some bonus points for "style", depending on various factors like accuracy and spin. These bonus points go to a special pool separate from player's main score. When the player wins the exchange, he gets some fixed amount of points for scoring plus all the bonus points he accumulated. The player who lost the ball doesn't get any points. Then, both players' bonus pools are reset back to zero, and next round begins.

Another variant: the player who lost the ball gets a fraction (e.g. half) of the bonus points he accumulated. I'm considering this to prevent excessive frustration of losing player ;)

This means:
1. The longer the exchange, the higher the stakes.
2. If you win with style, you get more points, but if you lose, it won't help you much.

Single player mode:
The player is faced with AI opponent. Player gets bonus points like in alternative 2-player mode, but they don't count towards winning (or losing) a round. Each time he beats the AI opponent, the difficulty level increases. Once the player loses, his score is added to high score table.

Any thoughts?
Ashlander
Prole

Post by Ashlander »

Those sound like great ideas! I can't wait to play them!
SoggyWaffles
Citizen

Post by SoggyWaffles »

I like the idea of playing a game but losing the ball and still winning, cause I have more "style" than my opponent (even if I lose half my style points for losing the ball). Fun game!
"Beneath the clouds lives the Earth-Mother from whom is derived the Water of Life, who at her bosom feeds plants, animals and men." ~Larousse