Lovely Mario Brothers Is Back

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Deecodeuh
Citizen

Lovely Mario Brothers Is Back

Post by Deecodeuh »

Hey! It's been a long time since I've been around here, but I've decided to come back and work on Lovely Mario Brothers for a second time. I plan on sticking around. So you will see updates again for a while. :)

Since I just began working on this again today, I'll release what I had over a year and a half ago, except now working with the new release of Love. There are many new planned features. And one fix that I will be focusing on soon is firming up the controls. I notice that Mario moves around like you're dragging him with a string. No worries, I'll fix that. :)
Attachments
mario.love
(781.55 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
Last edited by Deecodeuh on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lexsym
Prole

Re: Lovely Mario Brothers Is Back

Post by Lexsym »

I enjoyed this little project very much so, thought it was neat, but one thing that I didn't like was that it's using box2d. Please keep going, I'm learning alot from this specific project actually.

Oh also, it doesn't work with love 0.8.* as "require" doesn't use ".lua" anymore.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Most of the code is quite different now, but don't forget that Kurosuke is a distant descendant of Lovely Mario Brothers. Feel free to use any of my code, the underlying ideas are still pretty similar. Also Kurosuke works on 0.8.* just fine as far as I can tell.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
Deecodeuh
Citizen

Post by Deecodeuh »

Oh really? Love 0.8.0 is out now? Haha, I didn't even notice. I'll have to view the changelog. And thanks so much tentus. :)
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Deecodeuh wrote:Oh really? Love 0.8.0 is out now? Haha, I didn't even notice. I'll have to view the changelog. And thanks so much tentus. :)
0.8.0 is still under development, but it's nearing release. The last large change that isn't complete yet is updating box2d from version 2.0 to 2.2, which will mean fairly significant changes to the love.physics API. I recommend you wait until 0.8.0 is fully out before updating your game for it. :P
Deecodeuh
Citizen

Post by Deecodeuh »

tentus wrote:Most of the code is quite different now, but don't forget that Kurosuke is a distant descendant of Lovely Mario Brothers. Feel free to use any of my code, the underlying ideas are still pretty similar. Also Kurosuke works on 0.8.* just fine as far as I can tell.
Looking at your source, I like a lot of your changes, and I'm already in progress of integrating several. I'm especially liking the saver.lua file, I think that just saved me some typing. ;)

Man.. going back in time 1.5 years when I was still just a young programmer, I see that some of my code was very verbose. And in some areas, I could have had more knowledge about what I was doing.
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

Can you make it so that you don't have to be so close to the right of the screen for the camera to scroll?
Deecodeuh
Citizen

Post by Deecodeuh »

Tesselode wrote:Can you make it so that you don't have to be so close to the right of the screen for the camera to scroll?
Yeah, I can do that, it's just a number change.
partymetroid
Citizen

Post by partymetroid »

Woot woot! Hurray for prolific intellectual development near the end of adolescence! :D

Good luck, friend! If you need me for anything (graphics), hit me up via IM or this thread. I'm subscribing to this discussion. :awesome:
Deecodeuh
Citizen

Post by Deecodeuh »

partymetroid wrote:Woot woot! Hurray for prolific intellectual development near the end of adolescence! :D

Good luck, friend! If you need me for anything (graphics), hit me up via IM or this thread. I'm subscribing to this discussion. :awesome:
Hey, thanks! :) I'll have to let you know when I need something.