Mr. BallGuy 2!!!! ***V0.1.1 ALPHA***

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Eamonn
Party member

Mr. BallGuy 2!!!! ***V0.1.1 ALPHA***

Post by Eamonn »

MR. BALLGUY 2! V0.1.1 ALPHA!

My second LÖVE game :D

Yep. I have no idea why or how but I make a 2nd Mr. BallGuy. I started work on this on Wednesday. I don't even think this is worth sharing but it has fancy sliding menus and a fancy fade in/out startup sequence. The main issue with it is I can't figure out how to make the game 'fun'. It's WAY TOO EASY!!! That's why I'm posing it here! Maybe a gamer out there can suggest something? I've tried adding more balls, didn't do much. This is in an alpha stage right now, so expect some bugs. The game currently has:

• Achievements
• Fancy menus
• Awesome music
• Probably a few bugs ;)

Yes, so leave feedback on the menus! That took me a few hours to get the menu's sliding done, and the code could have been done a lot better. It SHOULD be perfectly indented, as far as I can tell. Though in ViM it messes up and everything's on one line. In Sublime Text 2 it's all fine. So I don't know what's going on there.

Don't worry, the game isn't anything fancy. The whole point of probably all the games I release here is just for me to 'test what I can do' in LÖVE. But, I supposes all games are a learning experience, right? This was my project that got me away from Python, but was Python-Inspired because it was originally going to be written in Python/PyGame.

The main thing I'd like you to tell me about the game is:

• How are the sliding menus?
• HOW THE HECK DO I MAKE THE GAME FUN!?!?

So yeah! I'm really proud of the menus, if you can't tell by this post! Still to come:

• The game being more fun
• More menus
• Better music

Changelog:
  • What's new in V0.1.1 ALPHA:

• Added more achievements
    • Added the ability to press the S key to fall faster
    • Tweaked the gravity & Y Velocity a little

What's new in V0.1.0 ALPHA:

• Initial Release
Is the song 'Rainbow Tylenol' copyrighted? I've googled and can't find anything to say if it is/isn't. I would like to use that for the theme music. Of couse, I'd give credit to the creator! Yes, I like YouTube Poop :D

Don't worry, I'll do the sourceforge thing right this time! Unfortunately, I don't own the 0.1.0 ALPHA of MBG1. The closest I've got is my friend's 0.1.3 ALPHA. If you own it, could you maybe send it to me? This is purely because I wanna see what it was like back in the days when I was a n00b! :)

Download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mrball ... rce=navbar

Click the green download button there. It likes to change to a Git Repo button a lot, so if it does report it to me and I'll fix it :D

Thanks! Again, how will I make the game better? The main thing I want feedback on is the menus! I'm still learning about LÖVE and I am no expert. There are a lot better games than this one!
Last edited by Eamonn on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
buhb11
Citizen

Re: Mr. BallGuy 2!!!! ***V0.1.0 ALPHA***

Post by buhb11 »

I cant see the point
I found Love very enjoyable and nice!
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Its that bad, huh? :(
severedskullz
Prole

Post by severedskullz »

It gets to a point where you can't possibly go any further without dying as Mr. BallGuy takes too long to hit the floor before I can jump again, thus forcing me to hit the next red ball because I haven't landed yet.
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

severedskullz wrote:It gets to a point where you can't possibly go any further without dying as Mr. BallGuy takes too long to hit the floor before I can jump again, thus forcing me to hit the next red ball because I haven't landed yet.
Ah, Thanks for the feedback! I'll get right on it! Any ideas on difficulty? As I said before, it's easy. Just time it right and it's really easy :P
IndieRetro
Citizen

Post by IndieRetro »

Its pretty fun, as for suggestions, seeing as it gets to a point where the player is landing as the time the next ball hits him, possibly make the players gravity controllable with the up/down keys, so you can speed up the falling rate to help dodge the balls? :p
irc.freenode.org ##oodnet
http://exez.in/
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

IndieRetro wrote:Its pretty fun, as for suggestions, seeing as it gets to a point where the player is landing as the time the next ball hits him, possibly make the players gravity controllable with the up/down keys, so you can speed up the falling rate to help dodge the balls? :p
Thanks! I don't wanna just release a V0.1.1 with just that one thing, I'd like to roll out V0.1.1 with more features. The up/down arrow key's thing is something I would have never thought of! Thanks!
NightKawata
Party member

Re: Mr. BallGuy 2!!!! ***V0.1.1 ALPHA***

Post by NightKawata »

Hmm. Maybe add different types of spheres that behave differently? (Per se a sphere that splits into three but moves slower once split?)
That'd probably add some variety. Also, this is just a nitpick, but why exactly do you need the mouse to pick up coins? That makes it a slight bit more tedious, but that's only my opinion. (Better yet you could always resprite the coin graphic, make it smaller, and allow the player to pick the coins up as well)
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

NightKawata wrote:Hmm. Maybe add different types of spheres that behave differently? (Per se a sphere that splits into three but moves slower once split?)
That'd probably add some variety. Also, this is just a nitpick, but why exactly do you need the mouse to pick up coins? That makes it a slight bit more tedious, but that's only my opinion. (Better yet you could always resprite the coin graphic, make it smaller, and allow the player to pick the coins up as well)
Thanks for the feedback! The shapes idea is a good one! I think I'll add that. I made it so the mouse picks up coins because that's the way it was in the original Mr. BallGuy. The shapes idea DID give me an idea though! As well as shapes, I'll add something else..... :) What is it? You're gonna have to wait for 0.2.0 for that! :D
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

Just because it was in the first doesn't mean it was a good idea. It's probably just me, but that doesn't really add much to the gameplay, rather than make it a bit more tedious to grab coins. But eh, it's your game.
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor