Chromatic Paths

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Chromatic Paths

Post by Taehl »

Here's a tiny, unambitious game I just made. The controls are WASD or arrow keys. Download it here. I use two Trash80 songs in it, so major credit goes to him.

Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Ensayia
Party member

Re: Chromatic Paths

Post by Ensayia »

You're supposed to collect the dots by the way, I wasn't really sure what I was doing until I asked.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Oh god, when the colors change to darkness, I find myself cursing out loud.

Keep the darkness out of it, it's really annoying.

Edit:
Victory! Thank you for playing:
Thanks for making it!
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

You sometimes get trapped with no way to reset as far as I know. Like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7572962/Sk%C3%A ... 0Paths.png
pancakepalace
Prole

Post by pancakepalace »

For clarity, I would not remove the base of triangles that in opposite directions. It makes it look like there is something special about those triangles when there isn't. All triangles should have a base.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

T-Bone wrote:You sometimes get trapped with no way to reset as far as I know.
Yeah, that's a game over. I couldn't think of a decent way off the top of my head to check for situations like that.

pancakepalace wrote:For clarity, I would not remove the base of triangles that in opposite directions. It makes it look like there is something special about those triangles when there isn't. All triangles should have a base.
Technically speaking, /none/ of the triangles have bases. They used to, but it didn't look as good - this way breaks up the grid a bit, which is easier on the eyes.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Taehl wrote:Technically speaking, /none/ of the triangles have bases. They used to, but it didn't look as good - this way breaks up the grid a bit, which is easier on the eyes.
It is still really confusing, though.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I liked it. Although black should be kept out of the color pallete swap, as josefnpat said.
When I write def I mean function.
Larsii30
Party member

Post by Larsii30 »

Nice idea, maybe a bit simple . But its fun :)
pancakepalace
Prole

Post by pancakepalace »

Taehl wrote:Technically speaking, /none/ of the triangles have bases. They used to, but it didn't look as good - this way breaks up the grid a bit, which is easier on the eyes.
It's not important for the user what is happening on a technical level, what matters is what he sees.

I understand your point of view of trying to break up the grid and make it less busy by not displaying the bases of opposing triangles. I'm sure it does make it easier on the eyes. The problem is that this is a puzzle game, and introducing an element that breaks the standard for a reason that is not linked to the puzzle leads to confusion. Our eyes see these diamond shapes and we believe it might have to do with the puzzle aspect of the game. After playing a bit, and realizing what's going on, it's a major bummer to come to understand that the diamonds mean nothing. It doesn't seem pure. I find the best puzzle games are those that don't distract with confused elements. When it's all pure, it makes it that much more satisfying when we figure out what's happening.

One solution would be to remove all the bases. This would set a standard, and make the grid less busy all at once. However, what I would do is make the triangles much smaller. And I would only highlight the triangles in red when they block the way, instead of making the whole square turn red. This would provide a clearer clue to the player as to what is going on as the triangles would be in better focus.