The Epic Adventures of Ninja Dog

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
davisdude
Party member

The Epic Adventures of Ninja Dog

Post by davisdude »

Just a quick update: I am entirely reworking my tile-system to be more efficient, so progress may not be made for a little while. Thanks for your patience :awesome:

Hello to all! This is my first actual game that I've made in Love. :awesome:
This is a Demo as well as a support and dev. in one.
This has been a good project for me, as I have not used Tiled at all. It wasn't working, so I took matters into my own hands and it has been a learning experience! :awesome:
If anybody is curious how I did it, feel free to look. Just tell me if you use it! The file is maps/tiles.lua
That has most everything.

You are a clandestine ninja dog, looking around for dubious desperado felonious felines. (not yet added)

I made all the graphics myself, so don't expect anything too amazing. I was going for a sort of 8-bit feel and I hope I achieved that.

BUGS: :(
  • I'm getting this problem where The player falls extremely fast.
    He also often goes through the floor/ground.
    Sometimes while jumping the character will have very rigid movement for a couple seconds.
    Your location is adjusted when jumping through the ground.
    The cat is still a work in progress.
To-do list:
  • Make better tile-system
    Gravity
    Fix known bugs
    Add enemies
    Add power-ups/different weapons
    Add actual levels
    Add sound-track
    Add sound F-X (such as barking or panting)
    Add camera
Now has camera movement and very basic enemies! :awesome:

Please give me some constructive feedback! That would be most appreciated. :awesome:
Note: You are supposed to go through the ground when jumping up. Mario style :awesome:
Attachments
The Epic Adventures of Ninja Dog.love
(10.88 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
Last edited by davisdude on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 16 times in total.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
NightKawata
Party member

Re: The Epic Adventures of Ninja Dog

Post by NightKawata »

Is it just me, or is there a problem with the collision? Right now I have to spam the up arrow key in order to jump, then I fall at 5000 mph, and get stuck in the ground again.
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Yeah... That was one of the known bugs... I am trying to figure it out, but to no avail... :(
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

i like to see early development but this is too early :3
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Yeah... This probably should have gone in support and dev. :P
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Fixed the falling bug... It turns out I was increasing the speed exponentially... :o
I should pay more attention while coding sometimes... :crazy:
The other bug was fixed too. That just had to do with dt not working well with tiles and nice rounded numbers... :P
Check out the original for an updated version. :awesome:
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

Much better. Now I don't get stuck in walls. However, the jumping is still off. Once I finish a jump, my horizontal velocity is reset, and I stop moving.
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

alot better now ;3

you should add camera too :3

and also some real guns :3

and of course some chickens to shoot :joker:
bramblez
Citizen

Post by bramblez »

if you are holding "d" and then while holding it, press "w" you only jump, but stop moving right
veethree
Inner party member

Post by veethree »

I get an error when i run this. It claims the file "entities/player.lua" doesn't exist.