Planetoid - a project to help me learn Lua and LÖVE

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Planetoid - a project to help me learn Lua and LÖVE

Post by DaedalusYoung »

Hi.

I'm new, recently discovered LÖVE and decided it looked cool enough for me to try and get something working. Although I have experience coding PHP, I've never really made a game, though I have done a fair bit of programming way back with BASIC.

So for a first project, I just figured I'd do something fairly simple and this is the result:

PLANETOID!

In which you can fly over an alien planet's surface, killing evil UFOs.

There is no goal, no end, it just keeps on going. If you want a goal, then you can try and go for the highscore, but the game doesn't have a highscore table, so keep track of it yourself. Until a certain point, it does get harder over time. As I said, I merely made this to get something working in Lua and LÖVE.

Controls are arrow keys or WASD and spacebar.

It should work in every possible screen resolution between 640x360 and 1280x720. Though it seems if you pick one that's a bit high for your system, at random times it starts lagging severely.

I had to use some nasty workarounds due to Canvas not being available for me. Also, the code isn't very optimized, I'm sure I could've put a lot of things in just one function, but all that wasn't my goal for this project.

Oh, and for some reason love.audio.setVolume() doesn't let me enter 0, so it will only go down to about 0.1. :/

Play it if you want, and have fun.

Released under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license. Image background CC-BY ESA/Hubble.
Attachments
planetoid.love
(565.18 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
raidho36
Party member

Re: Planetoid - a project to help me learn Lua and LÖVE

Post by raidho36 »

This is actually pretty good, I would only have complaints about the gameplay itself but that's not entirely related here.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST GAME, THEN IT CAN ONLY BECOME BETTER, GOOD JOB CHUVAK! i really look how the bullets work (i have not checked the source though).

9/10

needs clickble buttons in the menu not a "press enter button system"
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Post by DaedalusYoung »

Thanks!

Well, for a starting project like this, I didn't really want to bother with the mouse. I personally don't like mice myself, they do nothing you can't already do with the keyboard. I grew up with a computer without mouse, pressing spacebar was the accepted way of selecting something. So that's why there's no mouse supprt. I think it's easier: start the game and hold the left hand on the spacebar, right hand on the arrow keys and you never have to move them again.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

DaedalusYoung wrote:Thanks!

Well, for a starting project like this, I didn't really want to bother with the mouse. I personally don't like mice myself, they do nothing you can't already do with the keyboard. I grew up with a computer without mouse, pressing spacebar was the accepted way of selecting something. So that's why there's no mouse supprt. I think it's easier: start the game and hold the left hand on the spacebar, right hand on the arrow keys and you never have to move them again.
cant you support both?
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Post by DaedalusYoung »

I suppose I could, but I don't think I'll implement it in this game. When I make something more serious, I will definitely try to do that. It's something I don't like in other games, if they don't offer my personally preferred option. Just because a gamedev likes WASD + mouse himself, doesn't mean everybody else does, and similarly, just because I don't like using the mouse doesn't mean others don't either, so I think it's always good to have more options.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

DaedalusYoung wrote:I suppose I could, but I don't think I'll implement it in this game. When I make something more serious, I will definitely try to do that. It's something I don't like in other games, if they don't offer my personally preferred option. Just because a gamedev likes WASD + mouse himself, doesn't mean everybody else does, and similarly, just because I don't like using the mouse doesn't mean others don't either, so I think it's always good to have more options.
i like both :ultraglee: