Love for zombies

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Larsii30
Party member

Re: Love for zombies

Post by Larsii30 »

niiice :) Works great with the mud. With the same system you was able now to create everything like walls and whatever . Good work.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Sorry but with new soundsystem the same problems mantain. So I tried then to turn off volume but entering settings I got a TEsound:141 attempt to call method 'resume' (a nil volume). I had to close and restart the window to enter options. Also you have there the problem that is very hard to get the right option in menu because mouse click switchs values a lot of times until you release it.

After turning off sound I hadn't anymore problems. :)
So check or reencode sounds, see if the coding sound sequence is ok. My machine is ok to stand this kind of processing so something wrong is still there. Could be however OSX don't deal well with sound library you using.
Ellohir
Party member

Post by Ellohir »

Fixed the resume music and the settings menu clicking. Still no idea of the OSX sound problem, seems like nobody else has this issue :?

EDIT: I think I submit too quick and with too litle testing on my part, I'll try to keep that in mind before posting...
Ellohir
Party member

Post by Ellohir »

Added support for 2 resolutions: the usual 512x512 and a brand new 1024x1024 for our friends with huge resolutions xD

Oh, and now you can go back to previous menu with right click. Just thought that, if want to navigate through menus with mouse you should be able to do it completely.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Well, remember this?
headchant wrote:After a few restarts the sounds crashed and the game started acting weirdly.

Ellohir wrote:Still no idea of the OSX sound problem, seems like nobody else has this issue.

So I don't know if headchant's OS is OSX but I pretty sure that his problem seems the same than mine, so someone else had this issue. Unfortunately he didn't give feedback since you changed library so you can't have certain that his problem is gone. In this version for me the sound/struggling is still there so game is at least for me a lot unplayable.

Thanks for the 1024 resolution. Certain visibility is gain now but anyway with the changes you already made in dead zombies animation after earlier versions the need for at least better crispy bullet trajectory was not essential. I feel the gameplay is OK now (even without bigger resolution). And remember that unless people have a new portable/notebook all modern PC's sold from the last 3/4 years came always with +19'' monitors and handle usually 1600,1920 resolutions so you should have a lot of friends around with huge resolutions :D

About the menus in terms of UX it would be more logical to have really complete navigation with a "Back" Option like you already have a "Exit" one in main menu. It's not very intuitive that people need to find that "right click" or "Esc" is the way for leave a menu because you don't warn in options menu that they could use that methods. I believe first time players will hang a bit first time the in submenu finding what to do (I did). A "Esc or Right Click to..." warning should be enough. Anyway people always look first at bottom for the regular written "back" option or "change s ok" confirmation.
Ellohir
Party member

Post by Ellohir »

I just thought I'd share the tool I made for drawing maps for "Löve for zombies". The package contains the map maker and the tile library I used for it. It supports easy modification of the tiles in the tileset and colliding tiles, just changing a few things on "/maps/map1.lua". It is based on Kikito's work, most of the code is his, actually. Thanks for your great tutorial, mate ;)

INSTRUCTIONS: Scroll the mouse wheel to select tile, right click to place tile, left click to save a map.txt file in your working directory (on windows is "My Documents/AplicationData/Love" or something like that).

Also, to show the use of the colliding tiles, I upload also a new version of LFZ. Bullets and zombies don't have yet the tile collision code, but if anyones wants to see how to use the tile library / maker take a look at the player movement code. It's not the fanciest collision solver for now, but it works and you cannot jump into those tiles xD

Anyway, if you are interested take a look and feel free to comment.
Attachments
love_for_zombies_tile_example.love
LFZ tile example
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 187 times
ZombieMapper.love
ZombieMapper
(168.9 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
Inumedia
Prole

Post by Inumedia »

Pretty cool :3
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Ellohir wrote: INSTRUCTIONS: Scroll the mouse wheel to select tile, right click to place tile, left click to save a map.txt file in your working directory (on windows is "My Documents/AplicationData/Love" or something like that).
Nice work, I have too to work fast in a tiled save editor for me (since hard-mapping in code is a pain) and implant kikito's strings2map routine for friendly reading maps. Anyway back to your editor. Actually your clicks are reversed (left changes tile / right saves) but this way is better. Perhaps use instead the right click to delete (back to grass) would be nicer (and use a key for saving since people won't need use save option so many times right?). I know is the first version but you should display a "map saved" message too.

A "problem" with saving in OSX (btw if you want to announce it goes to default LOVE save folder "/Users/user/Library/Application Support/LOVE/") is that the map.txt appears to be packaged inside a ZombieMapper.love (actually is a regular folder but OSX turns thing ended with .love a running LOVE app) but we need to rename the folder to access map.txt. I'm not expert but I think you resolve that issue by providing a identity with love.filesystem.setIdentity().

You know for sure that but you really need to improve scroll movement since is toooooo slow, you don't need to move each px by px (try tile size movement).

About the game itself you don't need more feedback from me since you already know where problems are. But menus as UX/UI concerns are near perfection now, congratz on that! :)
Ellohir
Party member

Post by Ellohir »

Updated main post. Zombie and bullet collision done. I'd appreciate a bit of testing as I've had some blue-error-screen issues and I'm not sure if they are completely fixed :? :?

EDIT: Re-updated, now zombies get slowed by mud in the same proportion as you. Fair, isn't it?

And I think it's time to put to an end this project. I think I won't add anything else, just bugfixes if I figure them out. Time to think on another game!
Nickmaster24
Prole

Post by Nickmaster24 »

I think it's a great game and I have some feedback.

1. Fix the random bullet being fired when the game begins.

2. Be able to change the shooting controls.

3. Changing how you ammo bar thing says: "RELOAD"

4. Better looking health bars.

Nice Game!
TheNickmaster21
AKA nickmaster24