LÖVE-based RTS

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
zapwow
Prole

Re: LÖVE-based RTS

Post by zapwow »

Ugh what a crazy week.
Anyway, I rewrote everything again and started working on a GUI. Added one building, and fixed up the existing unit. I changed the method of unit selection to be more like popular RTS games, as per osuf's suggestion.
It still doesn't do much, but it's a good foundation to build off of now.
Includes a couple hi-res animations and is now almost 1MB so I uploaded the file on lövehost (thanks igneous):

[/size]
ss.jpg
ss.jpg (12.34 KiB) Viewed 6846 times
ps. iamah, I'm using Blender, GIMP and ImageMagick for graphics
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Works nice, most things seem to be done, so when's the content going to be created? (maps, missions, enemies, etc)
igneous
Prole

Post by igneous »

Having an interesting bug. Might just be my poopy *nix graphics drivers acting up (I'm on a 16mb S3 SuperSavage). I find it odd that the ship sprites load and animate properly, but the base does not. I have a history with love rendering issues on this computer, so it probably isn't anything you need to worry about, but just thought I'd give you a heads up, nonetheless.
love.png
love.png (62.2 KiB) Viewed 6813 times
zapwow
Prole

Post by zapwow »

bartbes wrote:so when's the content going to be created? (maps, missions, enemies, etc)
It'll be created when it gets created :nyu:
I'd like to have units attacking and being created by the weekend after next. After that I'll make a couple more unit types (walking, driving), and maybe have some resources system in place. Maps will hopefully have a good start in April, including a basic map editor tool. I'll start AI probably in May, and I aim to have the first playable mission completed by the beginning of June. July/August will see me creating graphics, music.

So you might see a playable release by the end of the summer, but don't hold your breath waiting.

PS igneous - I'm surprised it can run at all on that hardware...
igneous
Prole

Post by igneous »

zapwow wrote:I'm surprised it can run at all on that hardware...
You'd be surprised.. I play quake3 (800x600@60hz, everything high) at 100fps+, and red alert2 (1024x768) at a very playable fps.. It's just something about love disliking this video card. It only supports opengl 1.2 at a hardware level, and I assume love does some non-compliant opengl 2.x stuff that makes this card shit the bed. Sigh.. I really should get a new laptop, but I love this thinkpad so much :brows:.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

The wonders of linux... I know no OS so resource-friendly (but that might just be me).

I like that you've planned everything (however, months->days would be a good conversion :P)
Evil Telephone
Prole

Post by Evil Telephone »

This is really awesome. I really like how the units move. The camera scrolling is smooth and intuitive. Even this early in the project, the interface is really nice looking too. There is so much potential here to make a great game.

This might be the only game I can get over 1000 FPS too :P
farvardin
Party member

Post by farvardin »

it looks and behaves really cool!
iamah
Prole

Post by iamah »

great work...an idea for the future: a subsystem for user defined squad formations, it'd be interesting too see how this could impact battles...