16-bit Style RPG (untitled)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Daniel Eakins
Citizen

16-bit Style RPG (untitled)

Post by Daniel Eakins »

Hello,

I'm currently coding a retro-style RPG. This actually began as a project made with Adventure Game Studios (which is an engine primarily intended for point-and-click adventure games); I was doing okay, but after a while I realized how much easier it would be to code it with Löve, so I switched engines.
QDFH6ad.png
QDFH6ad.png (8.68 KiB) Viewed 471 times
This is really just a tech demo for now. Current features include:
  • Pixel-perfect, 8-directional keyboard movement, as in games like Secret of Mana
  • Caterpillar system: party members constantly follow the player character from behind, as in games like Chrono Trigger
  • .tmx map import using Advanced Tiled Loader
  • Collision system, including orthogonal and diagonal wall sliding, using .tmx map data and HardonCollider
  • Seamless full screen toggling with correct aspect ratio, using Screen Scaler Helper
For menus and animations, I'm currently in the process of implementing Navi and anim8 (this is not finalized so I didn't include these features in the demo). I'm also planning to add mouse controls as an alternative to keyboard movement (this will require pathfinding). As you can see if there is a library that does what I want, I use it; I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

And of course after these features are perfected I'll tackle the fun part -- the battle system. :)

Download

Note: Tried to use the forum's attachment feature but got a "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." error. :huh:
Last edited by Daniel Eakins on Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Eamonn
Party member

Re: 16-bit Style RPG (untitled)

Post by Eamonn »

Pretty cool. I like it :)
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
IAsep-TrixI
Citizen

Post by IAsep-TrixI »

Nice!, I love these kinds of games!
Now that I think about it, everyone knows how to do an in-game console except for me, xD.
An agent of the free

check out the game I'm doing with Jkash!
Helvecta
Party member

Post by Helvecta »

Oh shit, that is sexy. Smooth, no bugs, and awesome attention to detail (diagonal tiles? walking diagonally when the character is close to the edge? Aw yeah. :megagrin:)

A piece of something I'm working on is an engine a lot like this; perfection such as the one displayed in your engine makes me envious :ehem:..

Anyways, good job! I'll be keeping my eyes on this one!
"Bump." -CMFIend420
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

so this is just a pre-pre-alpha?

its cool though.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

Awesome :)

Working on something similar. Though, it's currently undergoing a rewrite at the engine level, making it more modular and easier for me to update. It's using my snes gui system, but this is actually going to be the main change with the re-write, since the GUI system is going to be more extendable, easier to read code-wise, and OO.

Aherm. Anyway, I haven't showed it around here yet because it's a huge WIP in still. But since I thought you might like to see an engine demo doing the same...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7gope0n34z63 ... ngine.love

Also has caterpillar movement, though I don't use diagonals, but that's mostly because I'm going more for an FF4/6 kind of thing and less a Chrono Trigger kind of thing. Controls are ZSNES controls: z is accept, x=cancel, esc=quit game, arrow-keys walk around, space=pause. Works with a controllers as well. Tested with an SNES -> USB controller and an F310 Logitech.

Can't wait to see what you do with it. Here's hoping I actually go somewhere with Content and not just keep rewriting the engine code ad-ininitum.
litearc
Citizen

Post by litearc »

It's nice to see more ambitious projects being worked on - there aren't enough RPGs for Love. Best of luck.

@pauljessup: That's really nice! You should start a topic since there's quite a bit of progress.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

litearc wrote:It's nice to see more ambitious projects being worked on - there aren't enough RPGs for Love. Best of luck.

@pauljessup: That's really nice! You should start a topic since there's quite a bit of progress.
alot of the RPG's have been abandoned.
pauljessup
Party member

Post by pauljessup »

You think so? I'm still not sure. Maybe I'll start one a little later today.

Still, awesome seeing other 16-bit era RPG's in the making :)
Daniel Eakins
Citizen

Post by Daniel Eakins »

Thanks guys :D

pauljessup: Unfortunately I can't run your project because my computer doesn't support Canvases. But that's because I have a relatively old computer (still running Windows XP and I don't even have a separate "graphics card", only the default thing on the default motherboard).