Turtle: Puzzles

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
davisdude
Party member

Re: Turtle: Puzzles

Post by davisdude »

Most recent version (I guess. I just downloaded it).
All the aforementioned problems:
On the third level I die three automatically one time. I'll check this, not sure if it's just you or what

I just start the level and I die once then start at the spawn point.
On level 6 I was stuck in the ground and died after a little while. Please, elaborate what you did

I started the level and was stuck in the ground. After I tried to move I died
The menu music doesn't restart when it's done. How so? Again, elaborate

If you are at the menu screen for long enough for the song to play once, it does not repeat.

The hat is drawn over the box. In my opinion, it would look more natural if the hat were behind the box. Why? The hat's covering the turtle's face

Not all the hats cover the turtle's face, no? I just think it would look more normal for the character to hold the box in front of his head instead of behind it. I can understand your side to it, too, though.
You should be able to see why you got the achievement in my opinion. Explain in further details?

You know how on the achievements you haven't gotten yet it shows how to get those? I think you should leave it. Again, just and opinion, but I think it looks nicer.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
TurtleP
Party member

Post by TurtleP »

davisdude wrote:Most recent version (I guess. I just downloaded it).
All the aforementioned problems:
On the third level I die three automatically one time. I'll check this, not sure if it's just you or what

I just start the level and I die once then start at the spawn point.
On level 6 I was stuck in the ground and died after a little while. Please, elaborate what you did

I started the level and was stuck in the ground. After I tried to move I died
The menu music doesn't restart when it's done. How so? Again, elaborate

If you are at the menu screen for long enough for the song to play once, it does not repeat.

The hat is drawn over the box. In my opinion, it would look more natural if the hat were behind the box. Why? The hat's covering the turtle's face

Not all the hats cover the turtle's face, no? I just think it would look more normal for the character to hold the box in front of his head instead of behind it. I can understand your side to it, too, though.
You should be able to see why you got the achievement in my opinion. Explain in further details?

You know how on the achievements you haven't gotten yet it shows how to get those? I think you should leave it. Again, just and opinion, but I think it looks nicer.
Most, if not all, have been fixed for v1.1, so please hang on! I'm working on getting laser catchers to work right now.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Okay. I wasn't sure if you had updated it or not, so I thought I'd let you know. :P
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
TurtleP
Party member

Post by TurtleP »

Version 1.1 is going along, I've just got a lot of stuff to deal with in college (friends, grades, etc.)

I just need to add:

Elevators (input can be required to power it, and once you step on it, it rises upward)
~ 10 more levels + the second boss fight

I'm also debating a "map of level" key. For example, pressing "Return" would show a map on screen, and each thing in the game world is expressed as a pixel.
TurtleP
Party member

Post by TurtleP »

Sorry for the huge bump, but things are being picked back up. I had left the game unattended for quite some time, but now it's going again. Sprites are being redone to be better looking, and a lot of things have begun to be cleaned up (Menu, options, mappack menu, etc). So, have this .gif of the menu:

(I was using GifCam, so that's why it looks weird in the latter frames with the green. Not sure WHY that happens, but it does)
SneakySnake
Citizen

Post by SneakySnake »

When I try to run the game, I get this error:

Code: Select all

Loaded messages!
'Man, we ain't found shit!' - some guy from Spaceballs
Error: extras/dlc.lua:9: bad argument #1 to 'exists' (string expected, got nil)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'exists'
	extras/dlc.lua:9: in function 'init'
	class.lua:41: in function 'new'
	main.lua:599: in function 'checkforDLC'
	main.lua:553: in function 'load'
	[string "boot.lua"]:378: in function <[string "boot.lua"]:373>
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
Also, please don't set the window caption every frame. It can be very slow on some systems.
On my system, the game uses about 8% CPU without setting the caption every frame, about 70% with setting the caption every frame.
TurtleP
Party member

Post by TurtleP »

SneakySnake wrote:When I try to run the game, I get this error:

Code: Select all

Loaded messages!
'Man, we ain't found shit!' - some guy from Spaceballs
Error: extras/dlc.lua:9: bad argument #1 to 'exists' (string expected, got nil)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'exists'
	extras/dlc.lua:9: in function 'init'
	class.lua:41: in function 'new'
	main.lua:599: in function 'checkforDLC'
	main.lua:553: in function 'load'
	[string "boot.lua"]:378: in function <[string "boot.lua"]:373>
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
Also, please don't set the window caption every frame. It can be very slow on some systems.
On my system, the game uses about 8% CPU without setting the caption every frame, about 70% with setting the caption every frame.
I know, but that's an old unstable version you're trying to run. The new one, v1.1 has been in the works for a while. It's more stable, but I broke the campaign maps by moving signs to be tiles instead of entities. So I have some fixing up to do anyway. Also, that's fixed in 1.1. Trust me, v1.1 will be better than that.
TurtleP
Party member

Post by TurtleP »

It's been two months since I said anything about the game. So, I don't recall whether or not I said what has happened recently.

For starters, Turtle: Puzzles is far from scratched. I'm working on improving the graphics with my graphical designers as well as rewriting the level editor and entities. I scrapped a lot of the entities due to the fact that staying in the caverns system would be tedious, as I couldn't figure out ways to keep the interest going. It's pretty much like one of those things that you run dry of very easily. As a result, I have decided upon splitting the game into three (3) areas: Forest, Caverns, and Mountaintop. I have yet to really get forest-themed entities, and mountaintop should not be too much of a problem since there will be one level and then the final boss. I also don't think I'll do some sort of Super Mario Bros. 3-esque level select for that. Although I do love that game. Anyways, that's pretty much everything. I have a new blog located at http://www.tinyturtleinduestries.com/ if you are interested for more information. I'll be updating that every week on Tuesdays (even though that first one was on Wednesday :? ).

~ Turtle
TomcisUMB
Prole

Post by TomcisUMB »

Can't check website :/ Don't understand me wrong i like your game and etc but why menu background looks like made with ms paint?
TurtleP
Party member

Post by TurtleP »

TomcisUMB wrote:Can't check website :/ Don't understand me wrong i like your game and etc but why menu background looks like made with ms paint?
Don't worry, a lot of the game graphics (not just entities and tiles) are getting updated. But it's that way because the game needed something for the menu background. (Also the font did change :) )