Rhino Next Year

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
negester
Prole

Rhino Next Year

Post by negester »

Like the Towlr games, this one does not say what the purpose of the game is. Unlike them, the title offers an admittedly cryptic hint, and the game involves numbers. Even after you have discovered the purpose, the game itself is quite challenging, and punishes lapses of concentration mercilessly. I have not yet discovered what the highest possible score is, but consider yourself brilliant if you merely complete the game even if your score is zero.

Enjoy!

Negester
Attachments
rhinonextyear.love
Löve gane
(899.93 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
miko
Party member

Re: Rhino Next Year

Post by miko »

negester wrote:Like the Towlr games, this one does not say what the purpose of the game is. Unlike them, the title offers an admittedly cryptic hint, and the game involves numbers. Even after you have discovered the purpose, the game itself is quite challenging, and punishes lapses of concentration mercilessly. I have not yet discovered what the highest possible score is, but consider yourself brilliant if you merely complete the game even if your score is zero.

Enjoy!

Negester

Code: Select all

Error: [string "main.lua"]:247: Syntax error: legal.luac: cannot load incompatible bytecode
So you are using bytecode... That is not very portable, so I am out of the chance to try it :(
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

And I get a syntax error...

I understand you might want to prevent people from peeking, but zipping sources is The Way To Go.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
negester
Prole

Post by negester »

miko wrote:

Code: Select all

Error: [string "main.lua"]:247: Syntax error: legal.luac: cannot load incompatible bytecode
So you are using bytecode... That is not very portable, so I am out of the chance to try it :(
I did not realize that Löve does not actually embed Lua from source.

Way I understand the Lua docs, bytecode is portable within a x.y release. This bytecode is for Lua 5.1.
So if I provide several .luac files, say for 4.0, 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2 (nearly out of beta now), and check
for _VERSION in love.load, that might solve the problem.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Skip the luac part, please.
When I write def I mean function.
vrld
Party member

Post by vrld »

negester wrote:Way I understand the Lua docs, bytecode is portable within a x.y release.
From the luac manpage:
The binary files created by luac are portable to all architectures with the same word size. This means that binary files created on a 32-bit platform (such as Intel) can be read without change in another 32-bit platform (such as Sparc), even if the byte order (``endianess'') is different. On the other hand, binary files created on a 16-bit platform cannot be read in a 32-bit platform.
So no, bytecode is not portable. Worse, it isn't even properly defined, so luajit may have a different implementation than vanilla Lua.
Don't use it.
Last edited by vrld on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

hump | HC | SUIT | moonshine
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

negester wrote:Way I understand the Lua docs, bytecode is portable within a x.y release. This bytecode is for Lua 5.1.
So if I provide several .luac files, say for 4.0, 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2 (nearly out of beta now), and check
for _VERSION in love.load, that might solve the problem.
There are different lua implementations. I am using love with luajit, so its bytecode will never be compatible.
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
negester
Prole

Post by negester »

vrld wrote:[
So no, bytecode is not portable. Worse, it isn't even properly defined, so luajit may have a different implementation than vanilla Lua.
Don't use it.
You've presuaded me. Here is a patch. Unzip in the directory where the original game package was unzipped. Happy peeking!
negester
Prole

Post by negester »

negester wrote:Here is a patch.
Here it really is.
Attachments
patch.zip
(4.33 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

People are nagging you about things that aren't my league, first version worked fine for me. However I'm so dumb in logic and I curse you for you trying to burn my brain and insult me with that sounds. Seeing your code or not didn't help me out figure what's the purpose of the game even that I did a couple of accepted moves. SO I GIVE UP!

"AHAH" 2U2! :P