Space Opera Gravity

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Magitek
Prole

Re: Space Opera Gravity

Post by Magitek »

Hmm well this brings back some memories doesn't it? It seems I missed my own thread activity.
triangle345 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:54 am Hey is there any update on this? This project looks pretty amazing. It seems that you worked so hard on this I was wondering if there is a prototype people can play :)
To answer your questions, I don't work directly on this game prototype anymore. I ran into design issues with AI and subsequently got distracted by another project.
KayleMaster wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:22 pm Well, OP has been online 20 days ago, so I'd like to hear why the project died, does he plan on continuing it, etc.
Although I think the answer is pretty obvious.
Edit: uhh, actually a year and 20 days, oops.
However I am still working with this particular space engine today and the game in question is going good, if a bit slow. Interestingly I still retain ALL the functionality from this particular prototype, as I intend the system to cover large scale conflicts that occur in the game.
SPlice wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:23 am The art for this appears to be stolen from Starsector http://fractalsoftworks.com/ I wonder if that caused problems for him.
The art was always a roadblock for me as a programmer, but I have actually drawn the assets myself now. I don't think I will be publicizing the said newer title until it is due for release (which could be a long time looking at my track record).
triangle345 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:43 pm i mean it looks really good though... I think if he stuck with it he could of released and had lots of success... Even if he abandoned it I would love to see the src and maybe even expand upon it
At the time, perhaps it would have been successful; although I also thought at the time Starsector would actually come out in a reasonable amount of time and I would just be squashed by them commercially as I could never compete artistically or financially. While I think the game could have been fairly successful, it would have always been a really niche project - I was never happy with how the gameplay systems were coming together and it just never really became fun to play, it always needed more gameplay systems. I was also never particularly good at ship design so that basically doomed it going commercial.

As for the source, I don't know about releasing it for this prototype as it would require some pretty solid effort on my part to re-separate it from my current project - you definitely don't want to be tracking down the issues I have had with the original 2012 engine!

(Bonus) An interesting side project for homeworld developed from this particular prototype: