Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:11 pm
I've been working on a game for a couple of weeks now. I've come to a point where I feel somewhat comfortable with sharing my game with the masses (the Löve userbase is massive enough for now, haha). I am really interested in a review from some of you people. So if you've got the time to playtest this, and share your feedback, that would be delightful! Please do keep in mind that this game is a work in progress, and barely in alpha stage. Yet I do believe that it's easy to get an idea of what the full product will be right now.
Golden Harvest is a roguelite game about survival. You find yourself on a desolate island (the island is randomly generated). And you've got various skills at your disposal which you can use to survive. For starters, you want to grab a few rocks and carve a primitive axe and pickaxe out of it. Now you have the ability to chop wood, and mine stone. The (pick)axes can be used as a weapon as well, although you want to make better weapons (battleaxes, swords, warhammers, bows) as soon as possible.
Now you've got the ability to build various tools to help with your survival, like a campfire or iron pot for cooking, an anvil for smithing, a kiln for smelting, etcetera. Collect different items to unlock new crafting recipies.
Golden Harvest has gotten too big in mb's for the love2d forums to upload! Please download the game here: http://126.96.36.199/public/vapor_hosted ... Alpha.love
[22-06-2013] A new demo release.
A new demo has been released! Find it here: http://gamejolt.com/games/strategy-sim/ ... est/28536/.
[23-05-2013] Exciting news (maybe).
The last couple of months I've been busy rewriting the whole thing. In the previous version I didn't correctly OOP, and made a mess for myself in the long run, which made it very daunting to work with the code base as it got bigger and bigger. So yes, I've been busy with the game, but rather than adding in new features, I've rewritten the whole thing from the ground up, to make it myself a little easier. But that's not the exciting news. What's cool is that my girlfriend offered to do all the graphics for me, because I used graphics before from opengameart, I am now working with 32 * 32 graphics specifically made for this game, which gives me almost unlimited possibilities regarding features, since I am not any longer limited by the graphics I can find. I would like to share some screenshots of how it looks right now. And as soon as the game gets on the same level as Alpha 0.2 was, I will share the latest version with you guys!
Exciting new features:
- Seasons (temperature changes, weather affects organic tiles)
- Battle system overhaul (more in depth battle system, with the possibility of a wide variaty of skills to use)
- Health system overhaul (no more health, but rather wounds, for instance a cut in your arm that needs treatment before it infects, and with deeper wounds it could lead to a lethal amount of blood loss).
- Harder crafting system (no more combining iron which magically forms a sword. Rather I hope to give the player the sensation of actually having to put effort in it, as smithing a sword would be. Steps included to smith a sword are for instance making a mold to poor the liquid iron in after melting. I do my best to put as much research as possible in every activity in Golden Harvest, so I can try to simulate the activity as good as possible inside this setting)
- Saving / Loading overhaul (saving and loading takes way less time, it's almost not noticeable, and happens automatically, without needing user input. You can just roam the world and exit it whenever you feel like. The next time you load your island, all the changes will be still there)
A preview of autotiling walls (WIP):
A test with tile transitions (WIP):
Island generation menu, with choice of climate:
Features available right now:
Alpha 0.2 (current version):
- Character customisation
- Battlesystem (close combat & ranged)
- Lighting engine
- Field of view
- Potion brewing
- Leveling (strength, dexterity, etc.) (Unbalanced, very easy to become very strong).
- Dungeon crawling: 75% done (inactive until 100% completion).
- Randomized loot for dungeons: 0% done.
- Pet system: 0% done.
- Seasons: 25% done.
- Magic: 0% done.
- NPC's: 0% done.
- Storyline: 0% done.
- More variation in crafting/cooking/brewing recipies.
- More interesting cooking.
- More variation in naturally occuring tiles (more kinds of stone/ore/wood, etc).
Please enjoy and tell me what you think.