Auxiliary - Space 4x game.

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
vynom
Prole

Auxiliary - Space 4x game.

Post by vynom »

Hello everyone!

Been a long time since I posted, the game has still been in development but has come a very long way. Its much more dynamic and the framework uses a custom GUI for the in-game windowing(called Command Interface). No love to share yet, want to wait for more playability, but feel free to have a look at the wiki to see how its coming along! It has been split into 2 groups working on it now, so updates are much more often, but I refactor the code frequently(two steps forward and 1 step back) for optimization. It works well without using canvases, and even on an old pc(1gb ram), it still runs at 60 FPS.

The game basis is to be completely player driven, so you start on a planet with a few credits, and go from there. Single player will be a little different, you'll start with a ship and some credits, and chose what you want to do, interacting with NPC factions instead of player run factions.

Features(Not all implemented yet)
Events are stored to create a history of the game.
Exploring - Systems and planets created by the community(to allow rp stories to be created)
Building - Ships, Stations, Facilities, Items, nothing is generated in the beginning.
Destroying - Everything.
Repairing - Ships/Vehicles/Stations/Facilities
Salvaging - Clean up your messes.
Seamless Space and Land Combat - Ship, vehicle, facility, and NPC/Players, all can attack each other in some form.
Equipped and Item inventory - for you and your NPCs.
Materials - Mining and refining to create the bases to build and manufacture anything.
EDIT Big Change>> Fleets - Manage your ground and space fleets in real-time.
For graphics I also decided to go with pixel art, seems to flow well.

If you have any ideas, let me know!
Noctis Games Homepage
Noctis Games

Auxiliary Wiki Home(Some screenshots scattered around)
Auxiliary Wiki

Current Dev Build

YOURE HELP NEEDED

I need ship class names, and ship names. Original(trying to stay away from the numerous name generators). If its unique, it could be in the game!
Last edited by vynom on Fri May 22, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SneakySnake
Citizen

Re: Nebulon - Space Exploration and Domination

Post by SneakySnake »

The only 0.9 incompatible piece of code I found was setting the screen size in conf.lua.
It was renamed to window in 0.9.

You can use this to support both 0.8 and 0.9:

Code: Select all

function love.conf(t)
	t.title = "Nebulon: New Era"

if t.screen then
        t.screen.width = 864
        t.screen.height = 640
    end

if t.window then
        t.window.width = 864
        t.window.height = 640
    end
end

Although if I were you, I would just get LÖVE 0.9 and not bother about supporting 0.8.
You are missing out on the bug fixes, improvements and new features of 0.9.
vynom
Prole

Re: Nebulon - Space Exploration and Domination

Post by vynom »

Actually, knowing that as far into it as I am, I can switch over to 0.9.0 with making such a small adjustment, I will definitely be changing over tonight, thanks for the info! :awesome:

Also, in the game right now there are few systems, as trying to come up with naming conventions for the factions that control them is cumbersome for me, so Ive been focusing on the coding. So if you have ideas for systems, feel free to suggest them. A major inspiration for this game comes from another game ive been playing for the past 8 years, Star Wars Combine(swcombine.com), with the intent to make it more rts, and make it scriptable when complete(adding systems, NPCs and events). We'll see how off track I actually get, each thing I add I think of 3 more to add. :ultrashocked:

Edit >> Updated to LOVE 0.9.0, made the adjustment to conf.lua.
Attachments
Nebulon090.love
Nebulon -- Using LOVE 0.9.0
(483.38 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
vynom
Prole

Re: Auxiliary - Space 4x game.

Post by vynom »

Completely Overhauled, see first post for information!
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

The website didn't have downloads available at the moment, so I just made a short video showing off the latest available .love from this thread:

Looks nice and retro.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
vynom
Prole

Post by vynom »

The game has come a long way, Nebulon was a great start at learning Lua and LOVE, but there was a lot of limited functionality as it was then(over a year ago). Thanks for sharing the vid qubodup! Ill post it to the wiki for release history.

And yea, not at a point to let people try the current version, yet, it would be less involved than nebulon was since the GUI went from a stationary menu on the right, to dynamic window objects in game(minimalist style).
vynom
Prole

Post by vynom »

Just some recent screenshots --

DeltaF1
Citizen

Post by DeltaF1 »

(When) Are you planning to have downloads on the release pages?
vynom
Prole

Post by vynom »

Technically we could now, but things to do in-game are a little too limited for a test release yet. Once we have what could be considered stable, then we'll have it available again. But I'll keep posting teasers on occasion! Were hoping for a 0.2.0 sometime near the end of the year.

EDIT: I did forget, there will be a download available soonTM, but it will only be for the system designer so people can submit their own designs for the galaxy.