Global Game Jam Entry: Line of Life

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Gnx
Prole

Global Game Jam Entry: Line of Life

Post by Gnx »

Our teams entry to Global Game Jam 2012.
Be sure to get the no_menus build as there is some sort of packaging error with the menu build (the extracted love project will run fine with both though)

Also it there is no PO2 fix which will cause white screen on poor graphics cards.

A .love file can be found in the .exe package (use unzip) for non-windows platforms.

http://globalgamejam.org/2012/line-life
coffee
Party member

Re: Global Game Jam Entry: Line of Life

Post by coffee »

0.8 only right? Well, Can't test it here in OSX but I will try Windows EXE later. At least for now and from I saw in video I can say artwork seem nice. Liked the idea of the growing character. I got surprised to see the very larger number of artists and also girls working in your finnish projects. Nice to see somewhere the large draft of other people than male coders.
Gnx
Prole

Post by Gnx »

coffee wrote:0.8 only right? Well, Can't test it here in OSX but I will try Windows EXE later. At least for now and from I saw in video I can say artwork seem nice. Liked the idea of the growing character. I got surprised to see the very larger number of artists and also girls working in your finnish projects. Nice to see somewhere the large draft of other people than male coders.
This is made for stock 0.7.2 actually.
And yes it was nicely diverse in our jam at least :)
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Gnx wrote:
coffee wrote:0.8 only right? Well, Can't test it here in OSX but I will try Windows EXE later. At least for now and from I saw in video I can say artwork seem nice. Liked the idea of the growing character. I got surprised to see the very larger number of artists and also girls working in your finnish projects. Nice to see somewhere the large draft of other people than male coders.
This is made for stock 0.7.2 actually.
And yes it was nicely diverse in our jam at least :)
That's really strange. Menu version ("llrunner-menu.love") opens and closes (so I thought it need 0.8). Experienced instead the "no menu version" and "llruner.love" works well (and have menus?!?) Wrong/switched sources in packages?

Anyway, all works well. Nice graphics and environment. Mechanics work well. Only misses a better gameplay. we don't do much or have real opposition. Congratulations to the team.

EDITED: Some objects spawn too low in the floor. Also there is one object (a kind of fruit) that in any age never can be picken. Probably due lack of time you didn't finish an adult char? With some extra hours you could have a nice game.

SUGGESTION: Add a decreasing life expectancy/time to die (used in all stages). Catching bad or good objects would increase or reduce that time breaking the cycle of life (and dying without rebirth).
Gnx
Prole

Post by Gnx »

That's really strange. Menu version ("llrunner-menu.love") opens and closes (so I thought it need 0.8). Experienced instead the "no menu version" and "llruner.love" works well (and have menus?!?) Wrong/switched sources in packages?
It is actually the fullscreen attribute being true in the conf.lua.
With 1024x600 it mainly works only in some 13" laptops.
I'll fix the download link later.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Gnx wrote:It is actually the fullscreen attribute being true in the conf.lua.
With 1024x600 it mainly works only in some 13" laptops.
I'll fix the download link later.
Ah I got it! Your "Menu" is a fullscreen version (yeah, my OSX/16:10 screen don't support it) and the "No Menu" is the window version. Attention: Your "Menu" version seems more complete than "No Menu" version since have Instructions and Team screens. Thank you for the help.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

If a laptop has a 13" screen with a 1024x600 resolution, I'd hate to be the sucker who wasted money on it. Unless you meant 10" or something else Netbook size because that's a pretty terrible resolution for anything. Such big pixels!
MarekkPie
Inner party member

Post by MarekkPie »

I like the art style and design, but the run animations were off (since you were using only 2 frames movement on a rather larger character.) It looked like the boy was doing a little jig.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

A bit off-topic sorry but LOL, from same session than GNX project (not a LOVE project) but was fun see a crying cactus as "bad ass" bunny killer. Zombies and dragons are out of fashion! Warning: Trailer is more funnier than the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS0_vrBs6fI
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

MarekkPie wrote:I like the art style and design, but the run animations were off (since you were using only 2 frames movement on a rather larger character.) It looked like the boy was doing a little jig.
This is exactly what I was going to write. The graphic design is outstanding.
Also, I run it on love 0.7.2 and 0.8 on linux without problems (the version with menu). But sometimes the game just exited with no message nor error traceback. I got once strange error: first the screen was all black with only white "line life" visible, then the brown ground line was also visible, and then (once the game started over) there were trees and brown platforms, but no background nor the character. See the screenshots.
So, I guess there is some graphics related problem (maybe with my graphic card) which causes the game to exit.
Attachments
bug2.png
bug2.png (226.73 KiB) Viewed 4985 times
bug1.png
bug1.png (10.92 KiB) Viewed 4985 times
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples