Hat Cat

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Re: HCatOCAtFLoP

Post by T-Bone »

Robin: Yes, UI matters a whole lot. Good thing you (and Karai) pointed that out, that will be one of the things I will fix for the 1.1 release, planned to be released in a few days. Keep the suggestions coming, anything I consider somewhat easy to fix will probably be included!

Helvetca: About the bugs, I think you've played the wrong version of the game. I initially uploaded the wrong files, and I fixed that within an hour but I think you were quick enough to grab the buggy version. You're not supposed to be able to turn around at any point. I find it highly interesting that you've beaten the game, I thought this bug would make at least one level unbeatable (but I guess the bug introduces a new solution as well :P). You shouldn't be able to move horizontally while falling vertically, I have no idea how you pull that off (could also only be present in the buddy version but I'm not sure). I'm looking forward to your video playthrough!

About the final boss, I was sure I fixed the issue where it kills itself if you "teleport" high into the air but maybe I forgot to commit that change or something. I'll look into it, it will at least be fixed by 1.1. The final boss takes 10-15 minutes for me to complete but I've had an unfair amount of time to practice :P

EDIT: I just noticed that there's a significant bug in the final boss fight: the "puffballs" are not supposed to get stuck in the walls! This will be fixed in 1.1. Now I'm getting fairly sure Dropbox ate a patch or two because I know I fixed this already.

About that spoiler gif, your solution is indeed the intended one :)

And yes, the difficulty curve. it's quite brutal, especially near the end. I consider this a feature but I know it can put off many gamers too. The game has a kind of strange curve too; it doesn't just get more difficult as the game progresses, each world has its own difficulty curve as well. Each world starts off with a few simple levels to introduce new concepts and then things get tricky near the end of each world, like an exam of how well you understood the new mechanics. I initially considered this very clever but looking back I'm not so sure it was, since it creates an unusually large amount of places where you can get stuck and grow tired of the game.
Helvecta
Party member

Post by Helvecta »

I think you've played the wrong version of the game. I initially uploaded the wrong files, and I fixed that within an hour but I think you were quick enough to grab the buggy version. You're not supposed to be able to turn around at any point.
I followed your instructions and got the updated version, but the bug persists! Mind you, it's not an obvious bug (it took me until I reached the second to last level or so to find it - so about 6 hours), but I downloaded the linked version you posted earlier. Who knows, maybe I did it wrong! :monocle:
The final boss takes 10-15 minutes for me to complete but I've had an unfair amount of time to practice :P
My tactic was slow and steady wins the race, since the boss has an ungodly amount of HP - basically the same tactic as slapping him while he flies up, but from flying in from the left; I'd throw him waaay out of bounds, make hat cat jump around the map avoiding puffball walls while I waited for the boss to throw some more, then when he returned near the map I took a few minutes to separate the golden brown ones from the cotton candy ones, slapping the boss with the former and sending the latter under the level (This was only after I had gone infinitely high into the air and killed him a first time, since I was missing the last coin in the game and thought the boss's corpse was an item that I wasn't able to pick up on the first run since it was so far out of bounds :ultrahappy:)
About that spoiler gif, your solution is indeed the intended one :)
:| that's sick.
each world has its own difficulty curve as well. Each world starts off with a few simple levels to introduce new concepts and then things get tricky near the end of each world, like an exam of how well you understood the new mechanics. I initially considered this very clever but looking back I'm not so sure it was, since it creates an unusually large amount of places where you can get stuck and grow tired of the game.
Oh trust me, I caught onto that design, it's frustrating and enraging and exactly as it should be - like a mini boss in its own right. Then the tower starts up and you know shit's gotten real by the change in music and that the very first level kicks your teeth in. I am disappointed that you didn't incorporate more of the worlds into the tower, though. Where'd the camel go!? Where'd the, uh, tiger cheetah thing go! It was only in like two levels!! No incorporated water level? No spikes? :(
"Bump." -CMFIend420
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Huh, about that bug persisting I need to look into it further, the game might treat ice and solid ground a bit differently in a way I hadn't thought of. What you do in that video shouldn't be possible. It will be fixed in 1.1.

About the Camella and Neko-san (yes, it's another cat, it makes little sense for a cat to have a pet cat but who cares :neko:) I honestly couldn't think of any more fun ways to use it that wouldn't feel too forced. I wanted each world to be its own thing, but I agree that it's nice when games reintroduce stuff near the end.

Oh, and the boss will be a bit easier in 1.1, but not too easy. Teleporting high into the air won't help you anymore too :) At least not as much.

EDIT: OOOOH DAMMIT I figured out what the bug is. I can't believe I missed it. I've figured out a solution but I want to test it a bit more before releasing it to avoid another scandal like this. But expect 1.1 with all these fixes within a few days (hopefully tomorrow or perhaps even this afternoon if I have time).
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Hat Cat 1.1 is now released and it fixes a lot of stuff. If you're in the middle of playing it I highly recommend updating, the save files are compatible.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

I REALLY like your game! I like the graphics and sounds and things! It's a nice piece of work :)
I got a super high frame-rate after updating. From about 60 to 450!
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

davisdude wrote:I REALLY like your game! I like the graphics and sounds and things! It's a nice piece of work :)
I got a super high frame-rate after updating. From about 60 to 450!
Yes, I disable vsync because some computers don't like it, and I've yet to find a computer where not having vsync is a problem in any way.

Also, I just released 1.2 which makes the game possible to beat again :neko:
Mermersk
Party member

Post by Mermersk »

This feels amazingly polished and complete!(Wich is no small feat). Congratulations on the release T-bone!
LuaWeaver
Party member

Post by LuaWeaver »

Hey, just played it. Nice! It's really fun, but the Windows packaged version gave me no sound (not sure if this is an issue on my computer or in your packing somehow), but when I extracted your code and ran it with Love directly, it worked just fine.
"your actions cause me to infer your ego is the size of three houses" -finley
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

LuaWeaver wrote:Hey, just played it. Nice! It's really fun, but the Windows packaged version gave me no sound (not sure if this is an issue on my computer or in your packing somehow), but when I extracted your code and ran it with Love directly, it worked just fine.
Sounds like an issue with OpenAL. I hope I didn't forget to include some dll or something :P Hm, seems to work for me. Maybe your computer needs 64-bit OpenAL?

Anyway, the trailer is now live :neko:
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I really love the art style here. And the over world map makes me think of a Mario game.