[LD29] Safety Blanket

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
SimonLarsen
Party member

[LD29] Safety Blanket

Post by SimonLarsen »

| S̢àf͏et̷y͢ B̛l̕an͢ket̶ |

Lukas and I participated in the Ludum Dare 29 jam this weekend as a team.

I had such a blast making this. I finally had a reason to play around with the shader stuff introduced in 0.8 and it was such a breeze to work with. Also made use of the physics module for the first time which was equally awesome and trouble free.

Check it out: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-da ... w&uid=1980
MadByte
Party member

Re: [LD29] Safety Blanket

Post by MadByte »

wow. Very unique idea, great sounds, great graphics. awesome entry. I need to take a look how the blanket is made. :D
zorfmorf
Prole

Post by zorfmorf »

So far my favourite jam entry! I couldn't stop laughing at first. Keep you limbs in the bed damnit! Gameplay works really well. Against 3:00 am I thought I had this in the bag and thought it was too easy. Well ... it good pretty dark pretty quickly. :D

I will have to check out your blanket physics!
danbo
Prole

Post by danbo »

I really like the glitchy effects when you start to mess it up, and this game has the best implementation of a blanket I've ever seen.

Really hard!
PriorBlue
Prole

Post by PriorBlue »

Oh yeah, this game is a really great combination of pixel art, physics and shader effects. And one of the few games i rated with 5 overall stars ;).

Nearly all my games are made with postshader, too. I really enjoy the physics/shader system in löve. Its so simple and powerfull. For my last LD game for example i created a pixel shadow shader just in a few hours, i love this engine. :D
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Did you try modifying the texture coordinates of the blanket mesh as well?
I think it looks a bit weird that the texture stays fixes when the vertecies move.
It doesn't hurt the game at all though (actually makes it look nice), I was just interested in the technical aspect here...
Great idea, very well done!
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
SneakySnake
Citizen

Post by SneakySnake »

When I was a child, I actually thought monsters would get me if I didn't cover my entire body properly.
I was also afraid to sleep on my back.

Really great idea!
I also loved the sound effects, they are very creepy.
SimonLarsen
Party member

Post by SimonLarsen »

Thank you all for the very nice comments. Really appreciated.

The blanket physics are actually dead simple if you're using the love.physics module.
All I did was creating a grid of CircleBodies and then linking each body with its four orthogonal neighbors using RopeJoints.
It was mostly a matter of tweaking linear and angular damping and body size until it felt nice.

You can pretty easily implement simple cloth physics yourself using Verlet integration (this article is pretty good) but in this case having each body collide with each other was a nice way of preventing the blanket from otherwise folding up.
Germanunkol wrote:Did you try modifying the texture coordinates of the blanket mesh as well?
I think it looks a bit weird that the texture stays fixes when the vertecies move.
Making the texture stay in place was a very deliberate effect. We thought it made the blanket appear somewhat magic and looked pretty cool. Transforming and distorting very low-res pixel art also often looks rather bad. ^^
zorfmorf
Prole

Post by zorfmorf »

I just wanted to congratulate you on your rating! Of all games I played this ludum dare, Safety Blanket was my absolute favourite!
PriorBlue
Prole

Post by PriorBlue »

#4 Overall!
#1 Innovation!!!
#1 Mood!!!

Respect and Congratulation! Your Game was my favorite too and one of the few i give 5/5 Stars in all categories. I hope this lure more people to the Love2D engine. ;)