Rigel

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Re: Rigel

Post by T-Bone »

verilog wrote:
Ha! thanks man, but I can't do that. This is going off for free.
Shut up and take my money.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

But I want to buy it :cry:
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Itch.io's pay what you want model would fit perfectly. And well, when people see great things, they want to give money, as you put a lot of efforts in it. So yeah, what T-bone said.
verilog
Citizen

Post by verilog »

Interesting, thanks for the heads up, Roland, I'll be sure to check out that site. Again, thanks to all you guys for your comments, I'm glad you're liking the project so far.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Early access ?
verilog
Citizen

Post by verilog »

Thanks for the interest! However, the project is still far away from public release—as there's a lot of stuff I'd like to complete first. I'll eventually get there, but I can't commit to any specific time frame. I suppose it will be out... "When it's done™"!
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Like a year or so ?
pacman
Citizen

Post by pacman »

Are these maps created with polygons? How movement/collisions works in that case? :death:
Looks promising :)
verilog
Citizen

Post by verilog »

jjmafiae wrote:Like a year or so ?
When it's done.
pacman wrote:Are these maps created with polygons? How movement/collisions works in that case? :death:
Looks promising :)
Hi pacman! Yeah, the paths on the maps are created as polygons using smaller descriptors I call “sectors”. The idea is not very complex. Each sector is a 2D-line delimited by two basic coordinates: star and end, thus, a sector can be set with any angle. Right-angled sectors are used to identify walls. Sectors can also be “tagged” with different properties (e.g. height or "hardness"). Chaining multiple sectors creates a full path.

Movement along a path is relatively easy. Once each actor figures out its position on the map, it queries the information of nearby sectors (including sector boundaries). This information is used for collision detection. This is none other than a vulgar spatial hashing-like implementation.

That's the basic idea behind it. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
pacman
Citizen

Post by pacman »

Thank you for explanation :) It makes me wonder about two problems.
1. How a map is created/stored? Did you make map editor where you can draw these lines and mess with them?
2. How do you apply texture/graphic to polygons?