Square Invaders 1.2

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Guard13007
Party member

Re: Square Invaders

Post by Guard13007 »

Dreanh wrote:I want it to be easy for people who download just click and play, but thanks for the feedback. :)
Are you not gonna build it for the others just cause there isn't an easy install for Linux?

Also I know you could make a script that would automatically install Love2d if it isn't and installs your game. It would take a bit of research though, I can understand not wanting to work on it right away. This is giving me an idea though, I want to try to come up with a system of scripts for Windows / Linux / Mac OS X that comes with a config, and then allows you to build for each platform from any platform, easily, automatically, somehow. That would be very useful.
Clean3d
Prole

Re: Square Invaders 1.0

Post by Clean3d »

Nice game! I got to 10 min 20 sec the first time, so I feel pretty good about that. :cool:
Clean3d's Twitter, Game, and Blog
Dreanh
Prole

Post by Dreanh »

Guard13007 wrote:
Dreanh wrote:I want it to be easy for people who download just click and play, but thanks for the feedback. :)
Are you not gonna build it for the others just cause there isn't an easy install for Linux?

Also I know you could make a script that would automatically install Love2d if it isn't and installs your game. It would take a bit of research though, I can understand not wanting to work on it right away. This is giving me an idea though, I want to try to come up with a system of scripts for Windows / Linux / Mac OS X that comes with a config, and then allows you to build for each platform from any platform, easily, automatically, somehow. That would be very useful.
I thought there was a easy way for linux, I see I was wrong.. I want everyone to be able to play the game, somewhere on this forum I saw some tool someone made to make distributions, I should find that again see what it is (if I can find it again).
Clean3d wrote:Nice game! I got to 10 min 20 sec the first time, so I feel pretty good about that. :cool:
Thanks :awesome: 10min pretty good, have worked a bit more on it now, it's a bit easier now, there are HP regen, shield and boost upgrades. And I've done a lot of balancing/tweaking and fixed bugs.
Guard13007
Party member

Re: Square Invaders 1.1

Post by Guard13007 »

"somewhere on this forum I saw some tool someone made to make distributions, I should find that again see what it is (if I can find it again)"

If you mean recently, I'm assuming you're talking about LovePackaging, and I just started working on that after reading this thread. Right now it works from Linux (and should from OS X if you've installed wget), but I have not gotten around to making a Windows version yet. It builds packages that are just extract and run for Windows/ OS X, and for Linux it just packages the .love file. I'm working on adding more features (including hopefully an easy install for Linux).

If you don't mean recently, well when you find it let me know so I can improve mine!
ClanDay
Prole

Post by ClanDay »

Hi, your game is very fun et relaxing but I use a french keyboard (azerty) and cannot test it properly. An option to switch to z,q,s,d for movements would be awesome ;)
Dreanh
Prole

Post by Dreanh »

Guard13007 wrote:"somewhere on this forum I saw some tool someone made to make distributions, I should find that again see what it is (if I can find it again)"

If you mean recently, I'm assuming you're talking about LovePackaging, and I just started working on that after reading this thread. Right now it works from Linux (and should from OS X if you've installed wget), but I have not gotten around to making a Windows version yet. It builds packages that are just extract and run for Windows/ OS X, and for Linux it just packages the .love file. I'm working on adding more features (including hopefully an easy install for Linux).

If you don't mean recently, well when you find it let me know so I can improve mine!
It wasn't LovePackaging, will post it when I find it. LovePackaging looks great, gonna try it just need to find my memory stick and install Linux.

EDIT: Found it: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75387
ClanDay wrote:Hi, your game is very fun et relaxing but I use a french keyboard (azerty) and cannot test it properly. An option to switch to z,q,s,d for movements would be awesome ;)
Thanks :) I've updated it, you should now be able to move with ZQSD.
ClanDay
Prole

Post by ClanDay »

A thank you from the "not-like-everyone-keyboard-community" :awesome:
At level 7 it starts to be tougth but very exiting :)
I regret the lack of visibility on health, a progress bar would be great ;)
Dreanh
Prole

Post by Dreanh »

ClanDay wrote:A thank you from the "not-like-everyone-keyboard-community" :awesome:
At level 7 it starts to be tougth but very exiting :)
I regret the lack of visibility on health, a progress bar would be great ;)
Sorry for the late reply, glad you like the game. :) I have come to level 14, it gets really hard, but I don't think it's impossible to make it to level 20, you just need to be really lucky with which upgrades you get. I've implemented health and shield bar it's coming in the next update. Have also done a lot more, you can have up to 4 guns, laser blast, better AI. Because of this the game needs a lot of balancing and testing before I update it.
shatterblast
Party member

Post by shatterblast »

At a basic try, I like the game a lot. I think it could use a bit of variety with some of the enemies. I would recommend a low number of easy-to-hit enemies who rush at the player character in an attempt to collide with low damage. Their speed would have to be faster than the movement rate of the player model. Perhaps, they could attach and go off after a few seconds like time bombs. Shaking the player model could dislodge them.

I kept moving in circles and shooting whatever was in the middle of the circles. I rarely got hit, and firing into a crowd would guarantee death eventually for whatever in the middle of the crowd.

I think there should also be the addition of boss enemies that take a lot of hits and have random properties like a shotgun style of bullets. Just some ideas. Overall though, I think the game works well.
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

Dreanh wrote:
Guard13007 wrote:

I thought there was a easy way for linux, I see I was wrong.. I want everyone to be able to play the game, somewhere on this forum I saw some tool someone made to make distributions, I should find that again see what it is (if I can find it again).
Clean3d wrote:Nice game! I got to 10 min 20 sec the first time, so I feel pretty good about that. :cool:
Thanks :awesome: 10min pretty good, have worked a bit more on it now, it's a bit easier now, there are HP regen, shield and boost upgrades. And I've done a lot of balancing/tweaking and fixed bugs.
Just give Linux users the .love and let them do their thing. Linux users won't like you for attempting fancy autoinstalls, maybe missing that love is already installed etc, and they also usually know enough to understand what is going on anyway.

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end