One Bit Arena

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
VladTheCat
Prole

One Bit Arena

Post by VladTheCat »

Hello, lovers! I want to present my first released game, named "One Bit Arena", made with LÖVE 0.9.1
Authors:
VladTheCat - Main idea, Code, Graphics
Valera Nagato - Music
Norman Rosewood - Online highscore system

Imagine that someone left you alone with evil monsters in an closed arena and gave you only one disc that can be thrown at enemies. Isn't that horrible? In this situation was the main character of One Bit Arena. Alone against horde of monsters!

- 4 types of disks
- 7 types of enemies
- Randomly generated arena
- 3 bosses

Also you can submit your higscore to online table, and compete with your friends.
Find out, who's the best. Show'em all who is the true master oа One Bit Arena!

Download from GameJolt: http://gamejolt.com/games/action/one-bit-arena/41484/

Good luck, and have fun :3
Germanunkol
Party member

Re: One Bit Arena

Post by Germanunkol »

Congrats on finishing a game!
It looks nice and sounds good as well - but I'm on Linux and can't play the .exe.
There's a trick on how to extract the .love from the exe, I think, but I keep on forgetting how it works.

Would you mind uploading a .love to this site? You'll get way more downloads, too - people tend to download the .love files more than external links.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

Germanunkol wrote:Congrats on finishing a game!
It looks nice and sounds good as well - but I'm on Linux and can't play the .exe.
There's a trick on how to extract the .love from the exe, I think, but I keep on forgetting how it works.

Would you mind uploading a .love to this site? You'll get way more downloads, too - people tend to download the .love files more than external links.
open it in a hex editor and strip off anything up to the zip part (compare with a regular zip file to see; the header is quire easy to find)

or open in an archive application, most check the whole file to find an archive (at least WinRAR does)

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
VladTheCat
Prole

Post by VladTheCat »

You can run it with Wine. It works very good.
Of course I can upload .love file here, but I can't be confident that you will not change source for cheating.
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

VladTheCat wrote:
You can run it with Wine. It works very good.
Of course I can upload .love file here, but I can't be confident that you will not change source for cheating.
Running it with wine is really dumb... why run something in a good but buggy emulator when you have native binaries right at hand?

Also read the "closed source love games" threads, extracting the .love from the .exe is a piece of cake, it's just that noone has bothered to yet.

print( type(love) )
if false then
end
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Rule of thumb:

This is Löve. Löve is cross-platform. If you are going to release a finalized game, please upload:
  • A Windows version
  • A Mac version
  • A .love for the Linux people
You'll save yourself a lot of headache from complainers that way and it's not that hard. A Mac version can be created dead simple. (Possibly slightly simpler than making a fused Windows version) Just ask someone on the forum to make one for you if you need to.
pacman
Citizen

Post by pacman »

S0lll0s wrote:buggy emulator

W I N E
I s
N ot
E mulator
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

pacman wrote:
S0lll0s wrote:buggy emulator

W I N E
I s
N ot
(an)
E mulator
FTFY

Still, you get my point. Also a lot of people aren't comfortable with running wine at all, it's a hell of a mess installing it (at least vanilla wine)

print( type(love) )
if false then
end
nfey
Citizen

Post by nfey »

I don't know about that, on Ubuntu it takes about 4 clicks (including searching for it on the shop). After that, you've got it on the context menu for .exes and all.
I've played a few dozen hours of Xenonauts on Wine and haven't had an issue.
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

nfey wrote:I don't know about that, on Ubuntu it takes about 4 clicks (including searching for it on the shop). After that, you've got it on the context menu for .exes and all.
I've played a few dozen hours of Xenonauts on Wine and haven't had an issue.
Well, wine and x64 sucks for one, and I wouldn't use a store if there was one for the distros I use (there's no generalized context menu over here too).

Playing love games in wine probably isn't too big of a deal, but the nerd rage is real with that.

print( type(love) )
if false then
end