Rocket Mouse v0.0.6

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Xcmd
Party member

Re: Rocket Mouse v0.0.4

Post by Xcmd »

Robin wrote:This was fun, for a while. I hope you find inspiration to make a game from this tech demo ;). (Idea: what if you need to dodge all kinds of space junk to safely make it to the top? You know, abandoned satellites, stages from old rockets, that sort of junk.)
Might be fun, although I'd have to get a better understanding of the collision system for the physics engine. I'm going to look it over more thoroughly today and see if I can get a better understanding of it.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
qubodup
Inner party member

Re: Rocket Mouse v0.0.5

Post by qubodup »

Suggestions:
1. auto-place rocket at start position after loosing or winning (no restart button required) and simply show the old score until button is pressed (which will start new game)
bamb.png
bamb.png (606 Bytes) Viewed 6887 times
2. put fuel info inside rocket as colored bars with height depending on fuel level. use roof, not floor (otherwise fuel bar will be gone though there is a little fuel left)
3. use flame image/animation for indicating active booster
4. put scores counter into rocket (not sure why, probably since eyes are on fuel bars anyway and to integrate the scores counter)

anthing copyable in this post is public domain/cc0
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

qubodup wrote:Suggestions:
1. auto-place rocket at start position after loosing or winning (no restart button required) and simply show the old score until button is pressed (which will start new game)
bamb.png
2. put fuel info inside rocket as colored bars with height depending on fuel level. use roof, not floor (otherwise fuel bar will be gone though there is a little fuel left)
3. use flame image/animation for indicating active booster
4. put scores counter into rocket (not sure why, probably since eyes are on fuel bars anyway and to integrate the scores counter)

anthing copyable in this post is public domain/cc0
That all looks like great suggestions. I'll get on that just as soon as I figure out how to make this into an actual game. Right now it's just a tech demo...
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

The next thing I'm hoping to incorporate... well... take a look:

Code: Select all

math.randomseed( os.time() )

function load()
	rocks = {}
	rockShapes = {}
	rockCount = 0

theWorld = love.physics.newWorld(800, 600)

rockCount = 64

for x = 1,rockCount,1 do
		rocks[x] = love.physics.newBody(theWorld, math.floor(math.random(800)), math.floor(math.random(600)))
		rockShapes[x] = love.physics.newCircleShape(rocks[x], math.floor(math.random(16)))
	end
end

function update( dt )
	theWorld:update(dt)
end

function draw()
	for a,x in pairs(rockShapes) do
		love.graphics.circle(1, rocks[a]:getX(), rocks[a]:getY(), rockShapes[a]:getRadius())
	end
end

function keypressed( key )
	if key == love.key_space then
		for x = 1,rockCount,1 do
			rocks[x]:applyImpulse(100 - math.floor(math.random(0, 200)), 100 - math.floor(math.random(0, 200)))
		end
	end
end
I didn't splice it into it's own .love file for the very simple reason that, honestly, I didn't want to. Right now 64 is far too many for the purposes of this measly thing, but I was thinking that something like this might... spice things up, eh? Any opinions?
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Oh, this is great! I added this to the update() function:

Code: Select all

for a,x in pairs(rockShapes) do
      rocks[a]:setX(rocks[a]:getX() % 800)
      rocks[a]:setY(rocks[a]:getY() % 600)
   end
Because all the rocks would fly off-screen after a while, and I thought that was a bit boring ;).
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

Nice! I have no idea what that's doing but I like it.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Xcmd wrote:Nice! I have no idea what that's doing but I like it.
Not? It makes sure the rocks stay on screen by modulus: 801 % 800 ==> 1, so the rocks wrap, just like in Astroids.
Xcmd
Party member

Re: Rocket Mouse v0.0.6

Post by Xcmd »

I figured, but I'm not familiar with the % and what it does in Lua's math functions. New version up.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

The rocks add a challenge, but without gravity, it's too simple. You could manually apply force to the player's ship, or add something else that makes it harder -- I don't know what though.
Xcmd wrote:I figured, but I'm not familiar with the % and what it does in Lua's math functions.
Well, you figured it right. ;)
ljdp
Party member

Post by ljdp »

Make it a scrolling game. have power ups:
Speed up
Slow down
Slow rate gun
Fast rate gun
Blast

Have the base speed get faster and faster too.