Dim Jump - My fun little game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
buntine
Prole

Dim Jump - My fun little game

Post by buntine »

DIM JUMP - A simple, addictive game in which you play as The Dim, a fried Dim Sim on the run with nothing to lose.

Github and .love here: https://github.com/buntine/Dim-Jump

I wrote this little game over the course of a week or two in order to see how Love "gelled" with me before I start my next serious project. So far it's been fun and Love's capabilities have been more than sufficient for my simple needs. It's also been my first experience with Lua, which I've enjoyed. Although I do have a lot of experience in Ruby, Python, Javascript and a few LISPs, so I was more-so surprised by the things Lua didn't have rather than the things it did!

This is my first post here. You guys/gals have a great community going here and these forums have helped me out a couple of times over the past few weeks. :)

Anyway.. Feedback welcome. Let me know what you think!
lovefirstly
Prole

Re: Dim Jump - My fun little game

Post by lovefirstly »

Let me see, It's a funny game and a game which make you want to hit the keyboard. I tried my best to level 6 and can't hold on any more.Which level you played in? :awesome:
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

So frustrating... and I want to blame the game for the hickups but it probably was the recording software...

http://youtu.be/NLPwuFGNb3Q

I do think the deathcounter makes it even harder by being distracting.

the voice recording noise is noticeable, this is best solved by adding background music or ambience sound. :)
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

I think you should go to town on this game. Add a score board and a android release. Maybe get it on steam as a free game. Of course it would need a lot more content. But rage games are popular with YouTubers. And YouTubers are popular with the target audience. Lol But yeah do you think you can make an android build?
buntine
Prole

Post by buntine »

haha Yes, it's half-fun and half-hate.

The big block on level 6 is a real killer. But there are more levels! Maybe I will make it a little easier.

Thanks!
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

No-no the difficulty is the fun part.
buntine
Prole

Post by buntine »

Oh, I didn't notice the screencast that qubodup posted. Thank you so much for the feedback. Maybe I will spend another week or so adding a bunch more levels and tidying things up a bit.

I think the glitching might be because I am not "garbage collecting" old blood stains and so they are just piling up!

Regarding a mobile release - is that a possibility for Love2d games? I thought mobile support didn't really exist (yet?).
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

buntine wrote:Oh, I didn't notice the screencast that qubodup posted. Thank you so much for the feedback. Maybe I will spend another week or so adding a bunch more levels and tidying things up a bit.

I think the glitching might be because I am not "garbage collecting" old blood stains and so they are just piling up!

Regarding a mobile release - is that a possibility for Love2d games? I thought mobile support didn't really exist (yet?).
It is indeed very possible; viewforum.php?f=11
baconhawka7x
Party member

Post by baconhawka7x »

I really enjoyed this game! I think bobbyjones is right too, this game could easily become a release with some polishing. I got stuck on level 8, gut-wrenching levels of tedious gameplay, Perfect.
airstruck
Party member

Post by airstruck »

This game is evil.
baconhawka7x wrote:I got stuck on level 8
Just hold up and you'll get through it. I got stuck on 9...