The Salty Sea

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Crossing
Prole

The Salty Sea

Post by Crossing »

I've always been a fan of sandbox games, changing the world and all of that good stuff so why not create my own?

The Wiki: http://thesaltysea.wikia.com/wiki/The_Salty_Sea_Wikia
The Forum: http://thesaltysea.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Forum

100+ hulls, guns, sails, nets, mast and more
25+ competitive personalized AI
Ability to create corporations, and corporation bases and ships.
Huge map
Customized Avatars
Chance of perma-death
Gambling
Fishing
Top-Down pixel graphics

Fishing system - For now the main focus of my time is fishing.
Right now I have added 5 tiers of fish with different drop rates.
You have a chance to catch one fish every 1-3 seconds. You MUST be moving to catch fish.
While fishing ship speed is slowed by half.

Iv'e created the map with 9 sectors named uniquely you can move through them by going to the edge of each map.
Next i'm going to add Sector Statistics, such as amount of resources in each sector what items can be acquired in each sector and stat updating each sector separate. Meaning each sector will change dynamically over time.

I reached a huge milestone by finishing the fishing system, Certain fish are found in certain sectors.
I also updated the looting system and inventory system which is alot more complex. Each item has a special id which is based on it's rarity and position.

I started working on making a wiki o post all of the updates and game documentation to get it more organized and easier to find and change stuff in the future.

Iv'e also came up with the currency which is going to be called "Salt Flakes".

I decided to change the name to "The Salty Sea".

I Also Added a few more fish making 10 fish in total now.

I added a "Fishing Level" which caps out at 99, each fish gives a different amount of xp.
Fishing Level gives you Extra Chance to catch something good.
the max % it adds is 7% at 99 fishing.

I've also added a Player Sailing level which goes up based upon the distance you have moved.
It also caps out at 99.
the max amount of movement speed that is gained is 25 at 99 sailing.

preview.png
preview.png (9.33 KiB) Viewed 8157 times

I'm thinking of making a system where if you are stopped and still have the net down (aka still trying to fish) you have a chance to lose fish out of your "net".

Creating the Map -
Currently my idea for the map is 9 "sectors" the player can travel through. different items/fish can be found in different sectors. each sector can be exhausted of "resources" (items, fish), requiring the player to move around and try different stuff.

Making a wiki.
Adding more items and a Currency system.
Adding a Gambling System.
Creating more assets and creating a background story for sectors and items that are in the game.

Character Creation -
Pretty simple. Preset hairstyles, faces, facial hair, ect.
Choose the ones you like.
Choose the colors.

Concept Starter Ship
ConceptShip2.png
ConceptShip2.png (408 Bytes) Viewed 8085 times
Concept Crab
crab 2.png
crab 2.png (1.02 KiB) Viewed 8140 times

Release date:
Its to early to tell.
I could really use an artist to help with all the assets. Payment really depends considering I don't know if this game will have a price or not.
Also if you would like to help with the development of this game email me at TheHistoricApple@gmail.com
Last edited by Crossing on Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:21 am, edited 30 times in total.
Crossing
Prole

Re: The Costal Life

Post by Crossing »

Concept Avatar
Concept2.png
Concept2.png (1.48 KiB) Viewed 8130 times
The Map Made in paint :)
map.png
map.png (5.03 KiB) Viewed 8046 times
Last edited by Crossing on Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DeltaF1
Citizen

Post by DeltaF1 »

Did you mean to name it "Costal" or is that just a typo of "Coastal"?
FruityLark
Prole

Post by FruityLark »

If you can make a fun, engaging, seafaring game I look forward to playing it.
Not enough of those around IMO.
Crossing
Prole

Post by Crossing »

DeltaF1 wrote:Did you mean to name it "Costal" or is that just a typo of "Coastal"?
Yes, it's a typo lol.
FruityLark wrote:If you can make a fun, engaging, seafaring game I look forward to playing it.
Not enough of those around IMO.
I agree, im going to try to go for an oldchool style. Mostly because thats the only art i can do.
Crossing
Prole

Re: The Salty Sea

Post by Crossing »

Today iv'e completed alot.

I reached a huge milestone by finishing the fishing system, Certain fish are found in certain sectors.
I also updated the looting system and inventory system which is alot more complex. Each item has a special id which is based on it's rarity and position.

I started working on making a wiki to post all of the updates and game documentation to get it more organized and easier to find and change stuff in the future.

Iv'e also came up with the currency which is going to be called "Salt Flakes".

I decided to change the name to "The Salty Sea".

I Also Added a few more fish making 10 fish in total now.

what i plan to complete within the next few days:

Making a wiki.
Adding more items and a Currency system.
Adding a Gambling System.
Creating more assets and creating a background story for sectors and items that are in the game.

Character Creation -
Pretty simple. Preset hairstyles, faces, facial hair, ect.
Choose the ones you like.
Choose the colors.
Crossing
Prole

Post by Crossing »

Today, I added a "Fishing Level" which caps out at 99, each fish gives a different amount of xp.

I've also added a Player Sailing level which goes up based upon the distance you have moved.
It also caps out at 99.
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

Crossing wrote:Today, I added a "Fishing Level" which caps out at 99, each fish gives a different amount of xp.

It also caps out at 99.
Isn't 7% quite low? It would be very hard to tell the difference between a coin that had 7% more chance of landing on tails than on heads. Leveling 99 levels to not feel any kind of difference would feel quite bad.

Unless you mean percent points. Like lets say a fish is very rare and has only a 0.1% chance of being captured by default. And then at lvl 99 it has 7.1%. That would be a 7100% increase.
Crossing
Prole

Post by Crossing »

Jeeper wrote:
Crossing wrote:Today, I added a "Fishing Level" which caps out at 99, each fish gives a different amount of xp.

It also caps out at 99.
Isn't 7% quite low? It would be very hard to tell the difference between a coin that had 7% more chance of landing on tails than on heads. Leveling 99 levels to not feel any kind of difference would feel quite bad.

Unless you mean percent points. Like lets say a fish is very rare and has only a 0.1% chance of being captured by default. And then at lvl 99 it has 7.1%. That would be a 7100% increase.
So, right now the chance to get an "Ultra-Rare" Fish which at the moment the "Drop rate" would be 2 in every 100, or 2% chance. So as you level up fishing, it progressively becomes a better chance. up to a max of 9 in every 100. seeing as how rare they are. no i don't think they are quite low. Keep in mind i haven't really dove into the economic system yet. I will probably be tweaking the drop rate.

Just to provide a little more information. Each sector in the world is different. For example, the middle of the map, Only contains common and a few uncommon fish.

The far right corner only contains ultra rare fish. Basically the background of that sector is it's freezing, and only a couple of species can survive. So lets say you are fishing in that sector at 99 fishing. You have a 9% chance or 9 in 100, to catch a ultra rare fish. the rest of the time you will catch nothing because nothing else is there. Basically what i'm trying to make is different strategy. do you want to test your luck and see if you can catch super expensive stuff. or stay in the other sectors where the Salt Flakes (Currency) is more consistent. I don't want you to always catch a fish. I want you to explore everything you can do to make money which I haven't added yet, like gambling, creating a company, fighting, go under watering diving and salvaging, finding chest. The main focus isn't just fishing.
Crossing
Prole

Post by Crossing »

Also, one thing i forgot to mention, was the rate that you are catching fish. Keep in mind I haven't tested the rates you recive fish. However, you catch one fish every random interval between 1 and 3. What I have not added to that yet is the fishing level which will decrease the max amount of time it takes, and the ship upgrades, which will decrease the max amount of time it takes. I'm trying to make it semi-realistic, meaning fishing for profit is mostly about mass fishing, or catch the big fish. Which takes work. So if anything, I will probably decrease the chances of catching a fish.

I was also debating if I should have level requirements on fish.