[LD34] Super Space Invader

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
kbmonkey
Party member

Re: [LD34] Super Space Invader

Post by kbmonkey »

Not to go off-topic, but I hope everyone in this thread has played BlackBulletIV's Super Space Invader. It's seriously a rad game :megagrin:
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

I haven't had enough time yet, but I plan on playing every LÖVE LDXXXIV game
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

kbmonkey wrote:Not to go off-topic, but I hope everyone in this thread has played BlackBulletIV's Super Space Invader. It's seriously a rad game :megagrin:
Thanks brother. That was kinda the original topic.
Nixola wrote:I haven't had enough time yet, but I plan on playing every LÖVE LDXXXIV game
Yeah I'm gonna do the same, also when I get the time.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Awesome.

At first I was like "haha, who will take health if they can have GUNS GUNS GUNS?" and then I was like "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" and then I magically somehow survived that first level that should have been impossible without health upgrades and then saw the light.

https://youtu.be/B6czU1d_Loo

This is amazing. You must be the first developer of a complete arcade game in my life who knows what year it is. No lives, restart of current level, short levels(!!!). Oh and graphics and sounds and music and voice are awesome too but you already knew that. :monocle:

By the way: Does it have open source licenses (like gpl for code and cc-by-sa 4.0 for art) or is it simply shared source? (not suggesting, just asking.)
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
prixt
Prole

Post by prixt »

The Ludum Dare rules state that Compo entries must show their source.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Thanks for the positive feedback qubodup and also for recording gameplay. Helps me see how others approach it. It was kinda amusing watching you pick attack upgrades over and over and then getting stuck on wave 6 (where the shield can bail you out of some shitty situations). You did really well to get 34K on the the infinite wave; don't think I've even done that.
Does it have open source licenses (like gpl for code and cc-by-sa 4.0 for art) or is it simply shared source?
The Ludum Dare rules state that Compo entries must show their source.
Yep, that's what the Github button is for (repo link for the lazy). All source and assets are under the zlib/libpng licence (essentially, do whatever you want but don't claim you made it or misrepresent its origin).
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

BlackBulletIV wrote:All source and assets are under the zlib/libpng licence (essentially, do whatever you want but don't claim you made it or misrepresent its origin).
Cool, thanks! I'll write a blog post then. You could make it more official by putting the info into the git repo. The music is very good. I'd recommend to use CC-BY 3.0 or 4.0 (or even CC-BY-SA) for the music because it's widely known while zlib is unknown and interpretations unclear (regarding non-code at least). There seems to be copyright abuse of no-attribution-needed-permissively shared music on YouTube (companies claiming copyright on free music). Your pick of course. I won't complain about an art asset being licensed too permissively :)
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Yeah I should probably add a licence to the repo. I'll leave the music zlib. In its current state I'm not worried about it being used without credit; people do that anyway and I didn't put much effort (comparatively) into it. If I extend the song at a later date I'll change the licence.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Nice one! Thanks a lot for the kind review.