[GAME] Fives (remake)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
riidom
Citizen

[GAME] Fives (remake)

Post by riidom »

Hi lövers,

This is a remake of a little casual game I found in the FirefoxOS marketplace, called "Fives".
I made this to a) have finally a game done ^^ and b) see how development goes when there is a detailed vision of the target from beginning.

Well, enough introduction, screenshot...
2015-12-29 23_12_57-Fives remake.png
2015-12-29 23_12_57-Fives remake.png (25.64 KiB) Viewed 6766 times
...and .love :
fivesremake.love
(36.31 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
Have fun!

__
Edit:
Changed file format for the font from .woff to .ttf, so FreeType support is guaranteed on all platforms (thx slime).
__
Edit2:
Fixed a bug with recoloring special (I'm almost sure its fixed at least:) ), and lowered number of new balls per round from 5 to 4
__
Edit3:
Stopped creating 101 canvases per :draw() call, sold them for some FPS. On my laptop now hitting the ceiling at 60 (saw 10-15 before too). That was a stupid bug, but I am happy it was one of the kind that can be fixed with low amount of work :)
__
Edit4:
Fix fullscreen-mode, fix game-over check, changed recolor-special behaviour
__
Edit5:
more bugfixes
Last edited by riidom on Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Nixola
Inner party member

Re: [GAME] Fives (remake)

Post by Nixola »

Screenshot_20151229-232140.png
Screenshot_20151229-232140.png (92.48 KiB) Viewed 6762 times
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
riidom
Citizen

Post by riidom »

this is probably due to me using a .woff file format for the font. Works for me though and had it tested as fused exe on my brothers PC - what OS are you using, nixola?
__
Edit:
Updated first post, new version should work.
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

It looks like Android.
riidom
Citizen

Post by riidom »

Androids look like tetris. On another note, I fixed a bug and tweaked some values, first post updated.
roastchicken
Prole

Post by roastchicken »

I'm not sure why, but this game seems to run extremely slow on my laptop. The mouse cursor has the blue loading circle every second or so, and I have to press multiple times (and even then wait a few seconds) on one of the colored circles for it to be selected. Once I select one then my cursor goes into full on blue loading cursor. I'm not sure if this is slow FPS or something else. I'm going to try to find out what FPS it is running at.

EDIT:

Okay, yeah... Adding a simple print( love.timer.getFPS( ) ) to love.update() (which I notice is suspiciously empty...) returns 59 while in the initial instructions screen, and then drops to 0 when I get into the actual game. After running the game for about 15 seconds, it prints around 3 zeros. 1 frame every 5 seconds. I'm not sure what you're doing, but I'm scared :o
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

Riidom I meant nixola's OS. It's Android.
riidom
Citizen

Post by riidom »

@bobbyjones,
sorry I got that wrong, thought you made some kind of joke. Well I cant test android, but maybe I get feedback if it was that woff-thingy or something else.

@roastchicken,
maybe it is my over-use of canvases. It was first time I used them and went maybe overboard with my training. I will check my fps too and see if I can get it to run on lower specs too. Of course such a game shouldnt have any demands wrt hardware. Let me see what I can do.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Yes, I tried running it on Android and I got that error. It works now, but as roastchicken it's very, very slow.
(also I can't read anything because the text is too small, but that's because my display's resolution is kinda high)
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
riidom
Citizen

Post by riidom »

Next update, should have been measuring FPS from very beginning, lession learned.
Edited first post with new .love (if anybody is still interested and not annoyed to death haha)
Performance should be ok now (not saying it is optimized, but I fixed a glaring performance-eater). For the display of the text, I might re-organize that, when I get to it before vacation is done.

Anyway, here a short description:
How it works is clear I hope, there are 3 special balls:
circle with diagonal line: locked, cant be moved, but gives 6 (instead of 1) points when removed.
little black weird splat: bomb, removes additionally all its 8 neighbours
coloured blobs: recolours all balls of its own colour to a random chosen one