[Semi-discontinued] osu!max

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Linkpy
Party member

Re: [WIP] osu!max

Post by Linkpy »

zorg wrote:In games that use music as a game mechanic, technically, you won't have latency between calling :play on a Source and it actually playing; the latency is between the input and the queried position returned of the playing music track. (It's still running after the position has been queried, so it'll never be perfect)
Technically, yes. But this depend on how the audio is handled by the engine. If I remember correctly, for example, Godot Engine have a node : SamplePlayer. A object for playing short sound, like SFX. Calling "sample_player.play("sound")" don't just "play" the sound. It query a sample ID form the audio server, then the it loads the sound data in the buffer. When the buffer is filled entirely, or when the end of the data is reached, the audio server play it with a given latency configured in the engine settings. For decrease the latency on the "play" to the speaker, you need to tweak these two options. But, using a too low latency (less than 50ms), the sounds glitch and it's the same for the buffer.

They want to re-work the audio system in Godot Engine. Maybe later I'll reuse it for a rhythm game. But for now it's not suitable for this.

And for note synchronization, input delay & offset, visual offset, etc, I already know that. I play a lot at osu!, a game that I love and I'm waiting for the Lazer update (which is the update where osu!, normally, become open source).
Founder of NeoShadow Studio. Currently working on the project "Sirami".
github / linkpy
Linkpy
Party member

Re: [WIP] osu!max

Post by Linkpy »

I post a news. If you want to see my advancement, you can go here : https://neoshadow-studio.blogspot.fr/20 ... vlog1.html

But what I want to say here it's that the engine of osu!max (NeoShadow Engine) is open source with the GPL 3.0 licence, and can be forked here : https://github.com/neoshadow-studio/neoshadow-engine
Of course, it is still in development. If you want more information of what it'll be, check the first link of this post.

It's the only time I do a double-posting, sorry :c
github / linkpy
Linkpy
Party member

Re: [Semi-discontinued] osu!max

Post by Linkpy »

(Sorry for getting this thread out of the grave)

Project discontinued. But only for the Love2D. Check the edit of the first post for more info.
Thanks.
github / linkpy
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

May I ask what library/engine are you using to continue your development in C++?
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Linkpy
Party member

Post by Linkpy »

I use SFML for all the graphics/audio/network stuff. And for saving/loading data I use TinyXML2, with a library (ns_xml) which use it and allow STL stream-like XML document creation and reading. Normally, this week-end I publish on GitHub the version 2.0 of ns_xml.
github / linkpy
Linkpy
Party member

Post by Linkpy »

Hello everyone.

I post a new message for saying that osu!max (isn't finished, not yet) is on GitHub here ! If you want to follow its early development or just want to see what it looks like behind-the-scene, you can take a look at the git repo. You can also comment what you want, for example if you got an idea for a feature. You can also use it for your own game, but in the current stage, this isn't a good idea (many things are coming, like IME support, **Windows** support, debugging utilities, and translation system and not everything is tested, so bugs can happens).

Thanks and have a nice day !
github / linkpy