Hex Engine

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Crossing
Prole

Hex Engine

Post by Crossing »

Hey guys,

I wouldn't consider this an "Engine". However, basically it's a map creator for a hex based game I'm working on.
It's pretty simple.

Coming soon:

More tiles, overlay tiles (ex: forts, castles, farms)
Randomizer

UPDATE:

Please note, Colors and art is not complete, nor is the UI!

Hi guys, i've been working on this project recently and added all of your guys suggestions.

I decided to start from scratch and change the whole aspect of the "Engine" (Map Maker).

So, first off i added two views, the first being a far out view.

HexPreview.png
HexPreview.png (37.22 KiB) Viewed 9192 times
The second being a zoomed in view, in which you are able to scroll the map using arrow keys.
HexPreview2.png
HexPreview2.png (14.63 KiB) Viewed 9192 times
Secondly, i changed the window size to 800x600.

Third, now holding the right mouse button you can "paint" on the screen, no more click spams!

Fourth i changed the UI style to give it a more minimalist look, i still have to add some animations, add all the tiles, save load features, etc, that will come next update.

Updated love file.

Any more suggestions please say so!
Attachments
HexEngine.love
(8.54 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
Last edited by Crossing on Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
Germanunkol
Party member

Re: Hex Engine

Post by Germanunkol »

Looks neat :)

Suggestion: Dragging the mouse while holding down the left mouse button should "paint". It's a lot of work to click every individual tile.
(i.e. draw by reacting to the mousemoved event, not only in the mouse click event).

Edit: Ah, also, I'd make the map much bigger. It's the main part here, yet it only uses a tiny bit of space on the screen. Instead, make the tile-preview smaller (also, increase the window size).
These tiny changes will make map-editing much more fun.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
Crossing
Prole

Post by Crossing »

Germanunkol wrote:Looks neat :)

Suggestion: Dragging the mouse while holding down the left mouse button should "paint". It's a lot of work to click every individual tile.
(i.e. draw by reacting to the mousemoved event, not only in the mouse click event).

Edit: Ah, also, I'd make the map much bigger. It's the main part here, yet it only uses a tiny bit of space on the screen. Instead, make the tile-preview smaller (also, increase the window size).
These tiny changes will make map-editing much more fun.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll implement the paint feature this weekend.

I was planning on making a zoom in and out button we will see how that goes.
What size should I make the window?
Beelz
Party member

Post by Beelz »

Looks nice so far, I could see myself using this for quick maps once it becomes a little more polished. As for window size, I would go with at least 800x600 and try to keep to a normal aspect ratio(ex. 4:3 or 16:9). Anyways, keep it up! :ultrahappy:

Code: Select all

if self:hasBeer() then self:drink()
else self:getBeer() end
GitHub -- Website
steVeRoll
Party member

Post by steVeRoll »

This looks very cool! Are you making it for "The Salty Sea"? I hope you do!
Crossing
Prole

Post by Crossing »

steVeRoll wrote:This looks very cool! Are you making it for "The Salty Sea"? I hope you do!
Actually no I wasn't. However thinking about it now I think making The Salty Sea hex based could make it really cool and alot more customizable. I'll look into it.
Crossing
Prole

Post by Crossing »

Beelz wrote:Looks nice so far, I could see myself using this for quick maps once it becomes a little more polished. As for window size, I would go with at least 800x600 and try to keep to a normal aspect ratio(ex. 4:3 or 16:9). Anyways, keep it up! :ultrahappy:
I'll try out that size when I release the next update.
Thanks for the feedback! :ultraglee:
Crossing
Prole

Post by Crossing »

Updated
Sir_Silver
Party member

Post by Sir_Silver »

Those pictures of your game have gotten me to think about how I might make my own hex grid sort of game and what it might be about. Is the project still in development or maybe you're taking a good long break from it? I'm starting to consider making my own game like this :O
Smoggert
Prole

Post by Smoggert »

Hey Crossing, the hitdetection on your hexes seems a bit off around a few corners, I looked at the code but got terribly confused by the number of vars your using to actually calc it :D

I have some 100% accurate hex hit detection if you like (based on the center and outer sphere radius).
If need be I can post the snippit.
(I'll have to change it first as it currently also takes into account the rotation of the hex)