Porting my own Veins of the Earth to LOVE

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
skyHights
Citizen

Re: Porting my own Veins of the Earth to LOVE

Post by skyHights »

I've found a fun little bug, when you chose a race it adds to your score, and you can choose as many times as you want - I have a constitution and charisma of 100.
Learning to Löve.
Zireael
Party member

Post by Zireael »

skyHights, thanks for pointing it out - the port is still a WIP as you can obviously see :P
Zireael
Party member

Post by Zireael »

skyHights, I fixed the exploit you pointed out, and thanks again!

I also improved the handling of player dying, the game now shows a generic screen and boots you back to main menu.
peterrust
Prole

Post by peterrust »

raidho36 wrote:generating valid input file might not be the easiest approach. It certainly is easier just to generate an internally representable map and feed it to the engine than getting around compression and packing only for it to get unpacked and uncompressed immediately afterwards
I don't remember the Tiled .lua formating being super compressed/packed... at least, the format seemed fairly human-readable to me, though a bit dense.

I think it would be really valuable to the LÖVE community if STI had the ability to accept a map table, as opposed to reading from a file, since STI is a bit of a staple in the community and other tutorials and libraries (including one I'm writing) work well with it. I don't think it should be too hard, I'll see if I can implement it this afternoon & send it to karai.
Zireael
Party member

Post by Zireael »

I don't think the Tiled format is packed in any way, and indeed STI would benefit from accepting a map table.

Tooltips now have a background

A main menu accessible by pressing Esc - debug menu is a dummy but 'help' works

The log dialog now shows last N messages. Doesn't scroll yet

Right-click menu in inventory screen. 'Examine' is a dummy but 'wear' works
Attachments
dev.love
(1.47 MiB) Downloaded 128 times
peterrust
Prole

Post by peterrust »

Zireael wrote:STI would benefit from accepting a map table
Karai17 accepted my pull request (https://github.com/karai17/Simple-Tiled ... n/pull/136) shortly after the above message, so it now (as of v0.16.0.4) does accept a map table!
Zireael wrote:I don't think the Tiled format is packed in any way
I guess you might call it packed in that it maps the x,y coordinate space onto a 1-dimensional table instead of using nested tables, but it's straightforward to work with. I wrote up an example to document the format and provide helper functions so it would be even easier to work with. This is my first contribution to the LOVE community (besides helping people on the forums), so I would love any feedback: https://github.com/prust/sti-pg-example.

Not that I'm expecting the Veins of the Earth port to use STI and the Tiled format -- it probably wouldn't make sense, now that the port is so far along, but hopefully it will be a good resource for people just starting out with procedural map generation.
Zireael
Party member

Post by Zireael »

It probably wouldn't make sense, now that the port is so far along, but hopefully it will be a good resource for people just starting out with procedural map generation.
The port is less far along than you think, especially the level generation is lacking. However I won't shift to STI, indeed.

Some pics of this week's progress:
Inventory screen shows the money the player has

Examine is no longer a dummy, colors WIP

Torchlight effect, vivid library darkening the colors progressively the greater the distance to player's location

I finished adding money to the game, so you can now pick some coins laying about, and fixed some issues such as NPCs spawning in walls because I wasn't checking whether the x,y was a valid move location.

That said, random location is still behaving a bit weird, leading to stuff clustering...
Attachments
dev.love
(1.48 MiB) Downloaded 272 times
Zireael
Party member

Post by Zireael »

peterrust, I decided to pick up STI after all, due to the ability to work with isometric graphics. I had to start the port from scratch in a new folder to integrate STI properly, but since I have all the LOVE code lying in the old port folder, getting back up to speed should be fairly fast!
4aiman
Party member

Post by 4aiman »

Keep re-rolling long enough and... voila!
test.png
test.png (813.66 KiB) Viewed 7618 times
ESC as a way to start a game is a bad feature. I've searched for a "Play" button for too long.
Zireael
Party member

Post by Zireael »

4aiman, that's an awesome line up. Re: ESC, point taken - I will fix this as I get to it. Currently up to my ears in STI :P