Porting my own Veins of the Earth to LOVE

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
rmcode
Party member

Re: Porting my own Veins of the Earth to LOVE

Post by rmcode »

Zireael wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:04 pm Do you think switching to ECS would help with the actor creation performance problem? It's a huge showstopper and I've been making a Java port in which creating 4 actors takes 20 ms...
I don't think that ECS does have much to do with the performance of your actor creation (nor does Lua or LÖVE). IIRC you are using a library from the T-Engine to achieve your OOP behavior and I'm pretty sure that's the bottleneck - or some other (fixable) inefficiencies in your code.

I haven't checked the time of my charcater creation but I'm sure it is pretty low and I'm generating characters with graphs to simulate the body, behavior trees, items, stats and so on. If you point me to the character creation methods I could take a look at them if you want to.

Also some stuff can take a while no matter how much you optimize it though 4 actors really shouldn't be a problem for any modern hardware.

tl;dr: OOP doesn't make code slow automagically. ECS doesn't make code fast automagically :P

Let's get some stuff done till saturday ;)