On The Roadside (Turnbased Strategy inspired by XCOM)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Tchey
Prole

Re: On The Roadside (Turnbased Strategy inspired by XCOM)

Post by Tchey »

Hello,

It looks interesting, how can i play it on Linux ? I do have LOVE installed but then i only get a screen with a psychedelic "Supertoast No Game"... I've DL the game from itchio client.

Hm in my Terminal i see this, How can i fix the mismatch please ?
Version mismatch detected!
LOVE binary is version 0.10.2
LOVE library is version 0.10.0
rmcode
Party member

Post by rmcode »

Tchey wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:37 pm Hm in my Terminal i see this, How can i fix the mismatch please ?
Hi, thanks for checking the game out. Looks like you just need to install the latest LÖVE version (0.10.2) to fix it.
Tchey
Prole

Post by Tchey »

Hm, i've now deleted and reinstalled LOVE to go from 10.0 to 10.2, and no more mismatch, but i still have the magic toast screen.

I should use main.lua, right, to launch the game ?
rmcode
Party member

Post by rmcode »

How are you launching the game atm? Try to "cd" into the unzipped folder and then "love ." ... that's how it works on mac OS.
Tchey
Prole

Post by Tchey »

I tried to cd to the folder, then both open the toast :

love
love main.lua

If i right clic main.lua, open with... love, same result.

The toast screen shows version 0.10.2

edit : oh wait, love . works (love + space + dot)
rmcode
Party member

Post by rmcode »

Glad it works now! :)
Tchey
Prole

Post by Tchey »

Alright, so now i have to say i feel very much pleased. It remembers me of X@COM, i played it quite a lot before he goes to Cogmind dev instead.

I think i have too many soldiers, and they don't have enough impact. I needed several shots over several turn to destroy one single red.
It's a question of balance sure, but i prefer 4-6 max soldiers even in any other Xcom serie/remake/inspired games. I don't like "turn based RTS" feeling, i prefer to get attached to my rather small squad and bring them all along, so when one is dead, i feel bad, not just "ok i will recruit one more".

Is there a way to check what is my target ? When i pass over a green or a red, i can only see "asphalt/tree/door...", it seems.

Will you keep the US modernish setting and equipment names ? I'd prefer if not (fake country for example, or steampunk, retrofuture, scifi, etc setting).

Other than this after 20 minutes only, i want to see more of it, and replay again.

Is there an end ? The goal is to kill all reds ? Why the greens shot at me sometimes, but not always ?
rmcode
Party member

Post by rmcode »

Tchey wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:41 pm Alright, so now i have to say i feel very much pleased. It remembers me of X@COM, i played it quite a lot before he goes to Cogmind dev instead.
Thanks a lot :)
I think i have too many soldiers, and they don't have enough impact. I needed several shots over several turn to destroy one single red.
It's a question of balance sure, but i prefer 4-6 max soldiers even in any other Xcom serie/remake/inspired games. I don't like "turn based RTS" feeling, i prefer to get attached to my rather small squad and bring them all along, so when one is dead, i feel bad, not just "ok i will recruit one more".
The medical system is still pretty unbalanced, but it's on my TODO list for one of the upcoming versions. I have this planned for soldiers:
Persistent Soldiers: Your team will gain experience, suffer from injuries and follow you from mission to mission. You will learn to love your veterans and try to save the rookies who are eager to prove themselves in combat. :)
Is there a way to check what is my target ? When i pass over a green or a red, i can only see "asphalt/tree/door...", it seems.
Not yet, but that's also planned for future versions. I'll try to get it into the upcoming update!
Will you keep the US modernish setting and equipment names ? I'd prefer if not (fake country for example, or steampunk, retrofuture, scifi, etc setting).
Actually the game setting isn't in the US. I'm going more for a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. setting ... not sure what category that falls in :P
Is there an end ? The goal is to kill all reds ? Why the greens shot at me sometimes, but not always ?
Currently there is no a goal, but later down the road I want to have different missions.
Again, thanks for the feedback!
DIEHARD25
Prole

Post by DIEHARD25 »

Nice project! and a lot of interesting work!

Wondering about code - are You used any other libraries or tools?
Still, amazing work!

Applauses!
rmcode
Party member

Post by rmcode »

Thank you!

I only used LÖVE. The code is my own, except for the camera lib (which is taken from https://github.com/vrld/hump) and a profiler which I've slightly cleaned up (https://gist.github.com/rm-code/383c98a ... 7ae536bcc5).

Oh well and I used Pyxel Edit to create the map and yEd for the body templates.