Depths of Limbo - Roguelike Shooter

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
xNick1
Party member

Re: Depths of Limbo - Roguelike Shooter

Post by xNick1 »

Nixola wrote:I played it a bit. The first floor is HARD, but I'm afraid kind of looks like a Binding of Isaac clone to me...?
I played Binding of Isaac.
While they're similar, I find Binding of Isaac slower in some cases.
Depths of Limbo seems faster to me.
I like it more than Binding of Isaac.
Of course it has less content, but this is gonna change with time I hope :D
I would like to play it on Linux though :/
evgiz
Citizen

Post by evgiz »

xNick1 wrote: I would like to play it on Linux though :/
Linux version should be up now, let me know how it runs!
Had some performance issues on my system, but I suspect its on my end.
Computer science student and part time game dev! Currently working on Depths of Limbo! :cool:

Check out the game website DepthsOfLimbo.com! :ultrahappy:
And my personal website with all my projects evgiz.net! :megagrin:
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Works perfectly on my end! Thanks for the Linux release!
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
evgiz
Citizen

Post by evgiz »

Nixola wrote:Works perfectly on my end! Thanks for the Linux release!
No problem man, hope you'll enjoy the game! :awesome: :awesome:
Computer science student and part time game dev! Currently working on Depths of Limbo! :cool:

Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Welp. It worked the first time, but I got an error (missing file assets/audio/music/Failure.ogg) from the second time onwards. Which is really weird considering I can run the .love file itself and the file actually is there.
EDIT: I repacked the .love removing unnecessary files (tip: some video editing programs create additional files when you import media, you probably do not want to include them). For some reason, it now works.
EDIT#2: Please, make the window size scale with the internal canvas; when I set the scale to 3 I can't see some of the content, and if I resize the window the GUI stays in place, greatly cluttering the view. Also, opening a chest at 1 health and dying without even being able to understand what happened doesn't feel good at all; if it's a mimic, please either give people some way to notice, even a subtle one, or add a (even short) delay. It doesn't feel fair when what happens is entirely down to luck; what could I have done in order to prevent that?
EDIT#2.1: That was the only time I got to floor 2, too. (Of all the bosses I can only beat the spider queen apparently)
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
evgiz
Citizen

Post by evgiz »

Nixola wrote:Welp. It worked the first time, but I got an error (missing file assets/audio/music/Failure.ogg) from the second time onwards. Which is really weird considering I can run the .love file itself and the file actually is there.
I had that issue at first, but thought I fixed it - apparently not :P Very strange indeed...
What files did you remove?
Nixola wrote: Please, make the window size scale with the internal canvas
You can change the game scale to auto so it fits the screen, not sure exactly what you mean here though. Sorry I'm a bit slow :P
The chest has a small delay before it attacks, but it can still damage you. I'll change this on the next patch!

EDIT: I see, if you have the scale larger than the window, then resize manually the UI stays in centre - will fix!

0x72
Citizen

Post by 0x72 »

I've spent just ~2h with the game, (I've got to Glacer 02) but I have a few comments already.

Bugs:
- Nothing saves for me (settings, collections :(), unless running from unpacked love. (I'm on a mac)
- No stats on death (basically kills: 0, items: 0 and so on, I believe it's related to the previous one)
- When I resume game from menu my character shoots wasting my precious ammo :(

NotSureIfBugs:
- Mimics seam to be invincible (or if they are, they don't look like being hit, I didn't load too much ammo into them, though)
- The King of Slugs only moves up and down

Comments/feelings:
- Destroying pitchers seams like a chore to me. It's semi-required to destroy them all but it just feels boring after a while. They could at least require just one hit not 3.
- I'd love to see twice as much enemies with 1/2 of health, so I can exterminate them more, but it's probably just me ;)
- More options in shops maybe? Buying ammo/health would make me do some meaningful choices.
- Too little weapons/enemies types but I understand this is because it's an early access game.
- Killing a boss gives me just money, I feel like I deserve at least a heart for that! :)
- Actually everything just drops money; no surprises nor waiting in anticipation for this heart/ammo I need so much.
- It's difficult to see some enemies in the piles of dead bodies - especially rats.

Favourite enemy:
- Specter :)

Of course it's just me being a player, take players' comments with grain of salt. I like it very much overall.
evgiz
Citizen

Post by evgiz »

0x72 wrote: - Nothing saves for me (settings, collections :(), unless running from unpacked love. (I'm on a mac)
Create a folder named GameSave in the Depths of Limbo folder and this should be fixed. Not sure why but sometimes the folder isnt downloaded. Should probably add a check and make one if its not there, my bad.
EDIT: Looks like this could be a mac issue, not sure whats wrong :/
0x72 wrote: - When I resume game from menu my character shoots wasting my precious ammo :(
MOHAHAHA
0x72 wrote: - Mimics seam to be invincible (or if they are, they don't look like being hit, I didn't load too much ammo into them, though)
- The King of Slugs only moves up and down
Mimics as in chests? Should probably add some particles. Boss movement is intentional!
0x72 wrote: - Destroying pitchers seams like a chore to me.
- I'd love to see twice as much enemies with 1/2 of health, so I can exterminate them more, but it's probably just me ;)
Agreed. Too many enemies is a bit heavy on old systems cause I'm bad at optimizations though :P
0x72 wrote: - More options in shops maybe? Buying ammo/health would make me do some meaningful choices.
- Too little weapons/enemies types but I understand this is because it's an early access game.
- Killing a boss gives me just money, I feel like I deserve at least a heart for that! :)
Coming soon (TM)

Thanks for the feedback, and trust me its MUCH better here than anything I get from just regular players!

0x72
Citizen

Post by 0x72 »

evgiz wrote:
0x72 wrote: - Nothing saves for me (settings, collections :(), unless running from unpacked love. (I'm on a mac)
Create a folder named GameSave in the Depths of Limbo folder and this should be fixed.
No luck, and it's getting early at my place :shock:

My bet is current working directory is set to something weird (or obvious but I don't know now, couldn't determine) - in such a case creating the dir from game should help. Any reason why you're using io instead of love.filesystem?
0x72
Citizen

Post by 0x72 »

evgiz wrote:
Create a folder named GameSave in the Depths of Limbo folder and this should be fixed.
No luck, and it's getting early at my place :shock: maybe tomorrow.

My bet is current working directory is set to something weird (or obvious but I don't know now, couldn't determine) - in such a case creating the dir from game should help. Any reason why you're using io instead of love.filesystem?