Depths of Limbo - Roguelike Shooter

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
evgiz
Citizen

Re: Reptile Rogue - Action roguelike shooter

Post by evgiz »

rmcode wrote:Do you plan on "just" having the one guy or do you want to go the direction of Nuclear Throne or Binding Of Isaac with different characters to pick from?
I wan't to add unlocks like new characters, weapons and items to encourage players to play more. I obviously love roguelikes, but find them more intriguing if there's something else than just a highscore to work towards. One of my current ideas is a "Well of Wisdom" where players can sacrifice an item to reveal their properties making future runs easier.

That said my main focus right now is to make the gameplay itself fun. Since I'm just one person and also a student I have to be quite strict with myself when it comes to "cool but unnecessary" features haha. :P
Murii wrote:I just can't believe people manage to find the motivation and power to make such greate looking games and fun in such a small amount of time. Nice work,man!
Thanks man!! For me personally its not starting new projects thats hard, its finishing them! When I stumble upon an idea I like I can work for hours on end without getting discouraged, actually finishing the games is another story. Comments like these help a lot with motivation though! :D

With LÖVE I find it much easier to implement new features quickly than other libraries I've used, so that surely helps a lot. And there are so many useful little libraries people share on this forum! Even though its really tempting to implement them myself...
Computer science student and part time game dev! Currently working on Depths of Limbo! :cool:

Check out the game website DepthsOfLimbo.com! :ultrahappy:
And my personal website with all my projects evgiz.net! :megagrin:
grumpus
Prole

Post by grumpus »

Wow, this looks really polished for how short it's been in development! It seems like you have a lot of features/upgrades, etc. That speaks a lot to your ability to organize Lua/LOVE code to make it scalable, which I always have a little trouble with :/ Great job, I'm excited for release!
evgiz
Citizen

Post by evgiz »

grumpus wrote:Wow, this looks really polished for how short it's been in development! It seems like you have a lot of features/upgrades, etc. That speaks a lot to your ability to organize Lua/LOVE code to make it scalable, which I always have a little trouble with :/ Great job, I'm excited for release!
Thank you! I'm not very experienced with Lua but I apply the concepts I've learnt through C# and Java. 30log has been a big time saver! I'm sure a more experienced programmer than me would wince at the code, but it does what it should and I haven't run into any major issues with scaling (not yet anyway!).

I tried to focus on "game feel" early on so I'm glad to hear it paid off! As for features there's not a whole lot yet, most of what I had when I posted is in the video. There's more now though! It's really rewarding to have systems in place that make adding new content a breeze.
Computer science student and part time game dev! Currently working on Depths of Limbo! :cool:

evgiz
Citizen

Re: Depths of Limbo - Roguelike Shooter

Post by evgiz »

Hi everyone, just a little update on the progress I'm making.

The game is starting to come along quite nicely, and I plan to create a new trailer for greenlight pretty soon!
The name has changed to Depths of Limbo, which matches the rather dark theme I'm going for.

There's also a little website now with screenshots etc. for those who wanna check it out!

http://DepthsOfLimbo.com

Thanks! :)

davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Looks really nice, like a cross between Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne. If I can make one suggestion, based off the 4th gif, please allow item selection to be based off mouse and keyboard.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
evgiz
Citizen

Post by evgiz »

davisdude wrote:Looks really nice, like a cross between Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne. If I can make one suggestion, based off the 4th gif, please allow item selection to be based off mouse and keyboard.
Thanks for the feedback! The game already supports keyboard+mouse, keyboard only as well as controllers - so you can already do that! I feel its important that UI/menus feel as intuitive as possible. The game itself is really hard tho if you dont have a mouse/controller as you're limited to 8 shooting directions. Still I think its good to provide the choice for frequent laptop users such as myself :P

evgiz
Citizen

Post by evgiz »

Hey guys, I just published my game on steam greenlight!

I'm really excited as this is the first time I've tried to get a game on steam. If you have any tips or suggestions on how to improve the greenlight page or just general greenlight tips that'd be very helpful!

Here's the link to the greenlight page:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... /780504498

And the greenlight trailer:

easy82
Party member

Post by easy82 »

Very cool game! I love the art style, the sounds and the animations. Also, I adore shooter games. It already looks really polished... I'll play it for sure :)
evgiz
Citizen

Depths of Limbo got greenlit!

Post by evgiz »

Hey everyone! It's been a while since my last update, but I've been quite busy studying for exams etc. Yesterday night I got the amazing news that my game has gotten the green light from Valve, and I'm ready to push for release hopefully in early 2017!

Its difficult to hide my excitement, as this is my biggest gamedev-milstone thus far. I'm only 19 and have only published a couple games on smaller platforms before, most notably OUYA (which is pretty much dead at this point unfortunately). I'd like to thank everyone in this community as you help me keep my motivation up! Cheers!

For those interested, I'd like to share a bit about my experience with Greenlight below. I know I was very interested in the process, and I'm sure some of you would find it helpful.

My experience with greenlight
  • Make sure you have a decent trailer, and don't rush it! I believe I was a bit hasty with both the trailer and getting on greenlight in general. You shouldn't wait too long, but if I'd waited a couple more weeks I could include more features like multiplayer and more varied gameplay which would probably increase the amount of yes-votes and exposure.
  • Don't make the trailer too long! If it fits the game, keep it fairly high-paced and full of content. People probably won't watch the whole video if its too long. 1 minute is most likely enough, and don't waste this time showing long animations of your developer name etc. Frankly I don't think people will actually care.
  • Don't despair over yes-no votes and the % on the way to top 100. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to share, but I can say this: you don't need thousands of yes-votes or being top 100 to get greenlit. Most people don't like all genres, so you can expect a negative yes-no ratio. This is especially true if your game is niche, and it doesn't mean that a lot of people won't enjoy your game!
  • Be patient! Your game might take a month or more to get greenlit. Mine took about 5 weeks with me checking in almost every day! Don't drive yourself crazy, it will happen eventually. I believe in you!
Thanks again everyone, and I hope you find some of this useful! I look forward to releasing in early 2017, probably going Early Access first. :awesome:
Last edited by evgiz on Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Great info, thanks for sharing, and congrats on the successful campaign!
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim