noise function toy

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
MachineCode
Citizen

noise function toy

Post by MachineCode »

Here is a really simple little program that lets you explore noise space - love.math.noise(x,y).

Use the arrow keys to move around in noise space which is displayed as a (nominal) 512x512 grey scale image.

the implementation is actually based on the perlin noise article and has 4 noise components in "octaves" which are enharmonic. the x/y components of each noise function can be different which gives interesting effects. Just tweak the various components and you can quickly learn about how the noise function works and maybe find a use for it in your game.
noise.png
noise.png (69.56 KiB) Viewed 2504 times
Attachments
noise.love
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
pedrosgali
Party member

Re: noise function toy

Post by pedrosgali »

I love perlin noise. You should add a method of adding a texture to it, by colouring each pixel according to its value. Then you've got a map generator or a texture generator. It always amazes me just how many effects you can achieve with this simple bit of maths.

Code: Select all

if not wearTheseGlasses() then
  chewing_on_trashcan = true
end
MachineCode
Citizen

Re: noise function toy

Post by MachineCode »

Yeah - that's what i have been playing around with. I have to say its a lot easier to experiment using this lua framework. Much faster as well. Some of the texture mapping techniques end up looking quite good, but its a black art which requires a lot of experiments.
terra-10-film.jpg
terra-10-film.jpg (50.01 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
Attachments
pog-01-S.jpg
pog-01-S.jpg (15.08 KiB) Viewed 2451 times