SUMMON PROJECT

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Jwatt
Prole

Re: SUMMON 2044

Post by Jwatt »

curious handcrafted games
Jwatt
Prole

Post by Jwatt »

Fine, one last gif for tonight. It's just so much fun making events.

davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

I've gotta ask, how are you managing all the text (i.e. changing fonts/colors so much)? Are you using a library, or did you roll your own? It looks pretty good (albeit a bit trippy) whatever it is.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
Murii
Party member

Post by Murii »

Dope effects, looking forward to see what happens next!
Jwatt
Prole

Post by Jwatt »

davisdude wrote:I've gotta ask, how are you managing all the text (i.e. changing fonts/colors so much)? Are you using a library, or did you roll your own? It looks pretty good (albeit a bit trippy) whatever it is.
It is said a magician never reveals their secrets.

...Good thing I'm not a magician, but a scientist. What useless pride to not document everything.

Part of developing this game is also developing the game creation system, Love4D. It exists within the Summon lore, but it's also a real custom-made framework that I use to develop this game. (All the gifs from yesterday are live examples.)

Love4D is like a mix of ROM hacking and procedural generation, a super high-level framework designed to be very graphical and immediate. The thoughts I write down in miscellaneous text files are a few commands away from being a functional part of the game.

I find when the tools I use can read my mind, then the creative process can fully concentrate on growing the seed of the original vision, and everyone wins.

So when the game is done, you'll have access to its source code from inside the game. If you're thinking, "how did he pull this off?", you can just press a debug key to read the Love4D script and observe the game state for yourself.

(Or even go ahead and change a few variables and see what happens. Maybe you'll find another cunning Summon creature at the end of your thought process, already waiting for your contact.)
Murii wrote:Dope effects, looking forward to see what happens next!
Thanks for the support. Next up is, of course, integrating the demo part of the story to the Love4D format.

Even dope effects are just effects, after all. But the real reason I'm doing this game is to tell the story that has recently been quite eager to come out.
Last edited by Jwatt on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeisinlove
Prole

Post by mikeisinlove »

looks very cool, following this thread and yr twitter, u better finish this.
Jwatt
Prole

Post by Jwatt »

Been writing the Love4D parser further. Also, because the game will feature hand-drawn assets after your creatures evolve past ASCII, I'm also working to step up my coloring game.

Jwatt
Prole

Post by Jwatt »

mikeisinlove wrote:looks very cool, following this thread and yr twitter, u better finish this.
This means a lot, thanks.
Jwatt
Prole

Post by Jwatt »

Maybe this should've been drawn on a black canvas. Oh well.
Jwatt
Prole

Post by Jwatt »