Y.A.R! - Yet Another Runner! (better known as my first project)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
ken.athomos
Citizen

Y.A.R! - Yet Another Runner! (better known as my first project)

Post by ken.athomos »

Good day everyone and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!

I've finally finished my first project. This is just a basic endless runner. This isn't really developed to be jaw dropping or the like. This is mostly an "I need to prove to myself that I can do this project" and I would like to share my feelings of fulfillment to everyone else.

I personally want this to serve as a "case study" of some sort for new LOVERS such as myself especially for those who want to study code for Endless Runners. HOWEVER please do not follow the way I coded because I know for a fact that my code isn't optimal nor is it the best example.

As much as possible please do not use the art that I've used. It's not because I made them. It's more of they weren't done really well and I'm embarrassed about it XD

Controls:

To navigate through the menu, please use the mentioned keys.

Space - Jump
Z - Dash
X - Dash Cancel
Esc - Pause
Y.A.R! - Yet Another Runner!.love
(10.15 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
Tips on the Game: You don't have to wait to reach the maximum jump height to dash.

EDIT: Constructive criticism is appreciated. I want to be a better coder :P
Last edited by ken.athomos on Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sir_Silver
Party member

Re: Y.A.R! - Yet Another Runner! (better known as my first project)

Post by Sir_Silver »

Congrats on finishing your first project! You game is pretty cool, I played it a bit and had some fun with it, I definitely did not think that those green orbs were bad though, they kinda looked like something you want to "eat" in other games, lol. :)
ken.athomos
Citizen

Post by ken.athomos »

Sir_Silver wrote:Congrats on finishing your first project! You game is pretty cool, I played it a bit and had some fun with it, I definitely did not think that those green orbs were bad though, they kinda looked like something you want to "eat" in other games, lol. :)
Yeah I need to work on that for future projects. My mind was just on auto when I was making that orb. Not a good thing XD
Beelz
Party member

Post by Beelz »

I had issues with the ground tiles skipping around, and the collisions we're a little weird. Other than that, not too bad. Definitly needs animations. I thought I was standing still at first, then I thought I was supposed to collect the orbs lol.

Code: Select all

if self:hasBeer() then self:drink()
else self:getBeer() end
GitHub -- Website
easy82
Party member

Post by easy82 »

Congrats on finishing it! I hope you'll make a sequel and name it Yet Another Runner Returns... yarr :D
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Wow sooooooo much progress!! It's already great, in regards to the orbs just make them red/fire like, they are a little hard to avoid.

Also I saw a weird glitch when jumping the first pits, they kinda teleport I don't know if anyone sees this too? If not then maybe I can record it later. EDIT I was "ninjaed" haha I see what Beelz sees
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
ken.athomos
Citizen

Post by ken.athomos »

Positive07 wrote:Wow sooooooo much progress!! It's already great, in regards to the orbs just make them red/fire like, they are a little hard to avoid.

Also I saw a weird glitch when jumping the first pits, they kinda teleport I don't know if anyone sees this too? If not then maybe I can record it later. EDIT I was "ninjaed" haha I see what Beelz sees
I honestly don't know what's causing it at the moment. Before I changed them to images, they used to be red rectangles done with love.graphics.rectangle. They were working fine before. But then when I changed them to images some of them tend to teleport. Will recheck the code later.

Thanks for the comments everyone :)