Rong - Round Pong

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
bgordebak
Party member

Rong - Round Pong

Post by bgordebak »

Rong is a single player Pong variant, which I guess is not a very original idea. I just wanted to try circular collision detection. Made this game for MiniLD #72. If the ball moves in the blue area, game over.

Update: Added sound.

Update 2: Small bugfix. The ball used to gain speed if you waited some time before starting the game. Fixed.

Update 3: Starting speed is a bit more random without ball going directly into the blue zone.

Controls:
Space: Start game
Esc: Quit
Right-Left: Movement

Enjoy!
Attachments
Screenshot from 2017-02-21 07-50-49.png
Screenshot from 2017-02-21 07-50-49.png (11.74 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
rong.love
(2.8 MiB) Downloaded 180 times
Last edited by bgordebak on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 8 times in total.
bgordebak
Party member

Re: Rong - Round Pong

Post by bgordebak »

Update: Added sound.
bgordebak
Party member

Post by bgordebak »

Small bugfix. The ball used to gain speed if you waited some time before starting the game. Fixed.
bgordebak
Party member

Post by bgordebak »

Starting speed is a bit more random without ball going directly into the blue zone.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Great game, I love the idea! I wasn't too happy with the collision model, though, so I grabbed it and made it differently, hope you don't mind. Here's the result.

I'll be honest: the code was not very comfortable to work with. It could do with some refactoring, localizing of variables and removal of magic numbers. Guess that's fairly usual with jams. Still, nice job.

There's even more room for improvement. I had the idea of letting the ball spin, making the collisions have perfect friction (or a certain percentage of perfect friction), so that e.g. if the ball is spinning and it hits a wall, it might bounce in an unexpected direction. Another idea is to deflect the ball differently based on how far from the centre of the paddle it hits, as if the paddle had additional curvature (some regular Pong games do something similar). But I wasn't brave enough to implement any of that :)

Edit: Forgot to trigger the collision sound effect when it hits the corner of the paddle. Fixed now.
Attachments
rong.love
(2.8 MiB) Downloaded 134 times