Some Circle Game. Ideas to make it better?

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
mtdev
Prole

Some Circle Game. Ideas to make it better?

Post by mtdev »

Left click to select a base. Left click again to select attacking units and attack a base. Right click to translate (center) screen. Upgrading defense and offense works.

Game has potential to be fun (says me :P) but is kind of a grind right now. It is pretty easy to get into a stalemate or almost stalemate situation. If you have time to check it out and share any ideas, I would appreciate it.

-- edit
4/3 - Added Zoom from .8 -> 1.5
4/3 - Added Scrolling
4/4 - Added Troop Movement from base to base and fixed UI bug. Game seems to be getting harder. :vamp:
4/7 - Many updates. Attack and movement system sends 10 ship bursts instead of all at once. 'P' to pause / unpause. Only view your unit counts, only see attacks that are visible to your bases. Upgrades allowed once per base now. more...
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (50.48 KiB) Viewed 8363 times
circles.love
(34.08 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Last edited by mtdev on Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Nixola
Inner party member

Re: Some Circle Game. Ideas to make it better?

Post by Nixola »

It looks nice! I have a couple of UI suggestions and one (possibly broken) gameplay suggestion.
1) Zoom.
2) Smooth scrolling, with WASD/arrows/mouse/touch/whatever.
3) The ability to send units from one of your bases to another base already owned by you - I'd like to be able to prevent the enemy from conquering a base instead of having to get it back. It may be broken as it allows one to build a LOT of power safely near the capitol and transfer a LOT of units to where the battle actually is.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
mtdev
Prole

Post by mtdev »

Nixola -

Thank you! Great suggestions. Hadn't even considered zoom or scrolling. That will be great.

For #3, my son was really hammering me for that :). I have been resisting because the (loosely called) AI will need to be improved and I was being lazy but this puts it over the top for me.

Will be working on all of these suggestions shortly. Thank you for your time.
mtdev
Prole

Post by mtdev »

Hadn't seen that one before but is pretty cool. Is that a game you made? Can I see the love file? :cool:
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Hey! Another suggestion. In case you wander off too far, some button (either on the keyboard or a clickable one) that resets your camera centering it on your capitol would be neat.
Also, as a side note, please don't double post: you can edit your posts after you submit them.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
bladum
Prole

Post by bladum »

yes its my game, i tried to find some people to work on it here on the forum, but i failed to get some attention

its galcon on steroids, you have 8 upgrades of the planet that change how it produce ships / impact your economy. If you get deeper in the video you will find interesting tactics :)
TheOddByte
Prole

Post by TheOddByte »

Suggestions
- Display the amount of upgrades under the upgrade buttons when a node is selected
- If the mouse goes outside the window it will stop scrolling.( found this annoying )
- Set "role" for node, such as "Harvester" or "Tower" which would give greater rewards for production/defense upgrades.

Issues I found
- When an enemy or the player sends resources to a node and it does the fading and you scroll at the same time the position of that node gets incorrect.
What's the object-oriented way to get wealthy? Inheritance.
mtdev
Prole

Post by mtdev »

Thank you for the suggestions.
- Display the amount of upgrades under the upgrade buttons when a node is selected
Do you mean how much they cost? That could be helpful, I think
- If the mouse goes outside the window it will stop scrolling.( found this annoying )
I agree and will change the behavior to "release" the pointer after it leaves the window by a few pixels
- Set "role" for node, such as "Harvester" or "Tower" which would give greater rewards for production/defense upgrades.
I see a lot of possibilities and challenges with assigning roles / rewards to nodes. Still pondering just how to go about it.
TheOddByte
Prole

Post by TheOddByte »

Do you mean how much they cost? That could be helpful, I think
No, I mean that it will show the amount of upgrades, like you have 10x defense upgrades for example. The UI gets cluttery when displaying the upgrades next to a node if you have a lot of upgrades.
I see a lot of possibilities and challenges with assigning roles / rewards to nodes. Still pondering just how to go about it.
Just throwing you some ideas

Code: Select all

Harvester[ 500 resources ]
    * Base production +30%
    * Defense upgrades decrease with 5-10%( the ones you buy and the ones you already own )
    * Production upgrades increase with 10-15%( works same as above )

Tower[ 500 resources ]
    * Base defense +30%
    * Production upgrades decrease with 5-10%
    * Defense upgrades increase with 10-15%

Footsoldier[ 500 resources ]
    * Base defense +15%
    * Movement speed +20%
    * Production upgrades decrease with 15-10%

Kamikaze[ 800 resources ]
    * Base resources 50
    * Movement speed +40%
    * Can't produce units
    * Can't upgrade defense
    * Deals 2-3x the amount of damage when sent to an enemy and dies.
What's the object-oriented way to get wealthy? Inheritance.