Breaking Fast on Steam!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
francismoy
Prole

Breaking Fast on Steam!

Post by francismoy »

Hi all!

In other posts, I told you about Breaking Fast: a party game where Mario Kart meets Super Smash Bros meets breakfast food. Yes, quite absurd... but extremely fun!

Breaking Fast is now on Steam and is going to be released in June, 8th.

We'd highly appreciate your support if you like this game: add us to your wishlist, join our community and spread the word. The more people in the Breaking Fast family, the greater the online fun will be!

Cheers, lövers!
Sir_Silver
Party member

Re: Breaking Fast on Steam!

Post by Sir_Silver »

Looks really cool dude. How big was the team that worked on this game, and are you a team of people that all know each other IRL, or perhaps you're just internet friends? Or maybe you just hired some helping hands to take up some of the work, for instance, the art?
francismoy
Prole

Post by francismoy »

Hey, thanks so much!

We started out two people: a programmer (myself) and an artist (actually my girlfriend... there's so much love everywhere :P).

Then, two friends of us joined the team: a musician and sound technician with whom we'd worked in the past, and another programmer who's been mainly in charge of the online mode, and who is a professional game developer in London.

So yes, we were lucky because we knew each other beforehand and got along very well. Also, we all had some background on game development, although this is the first game we'll publish on Steam. :)
Sir_Silver
Party member

Post by Sir_Silver »

Thanks for responding so quick. That's inspiring to see a small team work together and make something that looks good and has the potential to be very successful. I hope your game has a very good launch!
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Congratulations on the Steam release!
I think having online support is by far the most exciting feature.
The graphics look OK, but I'm not 100% sold on the animations.
Since the graphics style looks hand-drawn, I would like to see more personality in the animations.
I'm talking about over the top keyframe animations, like in the old Tom & Jerry cartoons.
So yea, the graphics aren't bad just too static IMO.
Good luck!
BukkitmanMC
Prole

Post by BukkitmanMC »

Nice game! I am also working on a game, and I am planning on getting it on steam! I just have one question... does the game use Steamworks? If you don't know what Steamworks is, it is pretty much the steam API, for Trophies, and Stuff... it is for my game, and also someone is asking about it...
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

BukkitmanMC wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 3:21 am Nice game! I am also working on a game, and I am planning on getting it on steam! I just have one question... does the game use Steamworks? If you don't know what Steamworks is, it is pretty much the steam API, for Trophies, and Stuff... it is for my game, and also someone is asking about it...
Since it has achievements, i'm pretty sure it does, and they know what it is...
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
MasterLee
Party member

Post by MasterLee »

Looks interesting. Is there an steam-free download somewhere?
francismoy
Prole

Post by francismoy »

ivan wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 3:06 am Congratulations on the Steam release!
I think having online support is by far the most exciting feature.
The graphics look OK, but I'm not 100% sold on the animations.
Since the graphics style looks hand-drawn, I would like to see more personality in the animations.
I'm talking about over the top keyframe animations, like in the old Tom & Jerry cartoons.
So yea, the graphics aren't bad just too static IMO.
Good luck!
Hi! Thanks! :)

And thanks for the feedback! Yes, animations could use more polishing, we're aware of that and we won't deny it. For a small team like ours (4 people), it's a matter sometimes to do painful trade-offs. There are 16 characters in the game, and each character has around 10 animations (and like other 10 poses), all of them hand-made. Also, the artist had no previous experience animating, so she basically learned over the process. As you can imagine, by the end of the development she was much better than she was at the beginning, so we made lots of iterations. However, if we wanted to ship the game at a reasonable time frame, at some point we needed to stop. After testing in several game events and with other professionals, we realized that the deep gameplay and the funny situations made up for the shortage of more polished animations.
BukkitmanMC wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 3:21 am Nice game! I am also working on a game, and I am planning on getting it on steam! I just have one question... does the game use Steamworks? If you don't know what Steamworks is, it is pretty much the steam API, for Trophies, and Stuff... it is for my game, and also someone is asking about it...
Yes, we use the Steamworks API! We built a new module inside Löve, so that we could call the functions like

Code: Select all

love.steam.unlockAchievement(achievementID)
. Good luck with your game, and show it once you have something playable!
MasterLee wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 3:48 pm Looks interesting. Is there an steam-free download somewhere?
Thanks! Not for now, sorry :( We were considering uploading a demo, and maybe we will once the game is out. Anyway, if you have any specific question about the gameplay, game modes, etc, just ask me ;)
francismoy
Prole

Post by francismoy »

Hi!

We've just created a Thunderclap campaign to amp up the awareness of Breaking Fast upon its release: https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/578 ... ?locale=en

For those of you who don't know how this works, basically you just click on Support on Twitter, Support on Facebook and/or Support on Tumblr. Then, on the release day, a post on your behalf will be generated automatically to announce the release of Breaking Fast.

Thanks a lot in advance and don't hesitate to share this with friends and family who might be interested in Breaking Fast :)