My little stupid game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Pospos
Citizen

My little stupid game

Post by Pospos »

My little stupid game is named Salaz.

It's based on one of my fakemons in my deviantart http://agrzam.deviantart.com/art/Salaz- ... -686041393
i took a gulpin sprite(all rights to game freaks obviously)
a background and that's it, i made this game, in one week, to learn love lua.
Obiously this is my first game.
I want your critiques and reflexions on the code, that would be great, so i can improve.

There is the whole code and game :
edit : and some screens:
edit : and don't expect something good.
Attachments
2017-07-22-204920_1366x768_scrot.png
2017-07-22-204920_1366x768_scrot.png (288.72 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
main.lua
(8.51 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Salaz.love
(70.61 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
TheMajesticMagikarp
Prole

Re: My little stupid game

Post by TheMajesticMagikarp »

Hi! This is an impressive first game!
I didn't read the code in depth because there was a lot. However, I have some advice/tips to offer. First, I noticed that your code had very little comments in it or any at all. It is always nice to add some comments in the code to describe the functions and help people reading the code understand what it is purpose is. It's not always necessary but its sometimes nice to add a short description or so. I think it is important to have comments in your code, especially if you plan on making larger projects.
Secondly, around lines 159-200 in your main.lua file, you have multiple lines of code that are copied for each button pressed. It is bad to have code duplication in a program because you can make a function that will make your code shorter, easier to read, and takes less time.
I also don't know why there is a tank sprite in your files...
I hope I have provided some help. Keep on creating and have fun!
Pospos
Citizen

Re: My little stupid game

Post by Pospos »

Thank you for your reply :)
That's nice to get a constructive opinion.
I'm not very experienced in coding, i started only for 9 months. I discovered coding long time ago, but i wasn't very interested by then.
That's mainly why my code is very messy and i didn't commented it. The problem is that i don't know enough functions to arrange my code.I would love one day to make a real game, but i'm kinda far from it, and about the tank sprite, that's very funny, because i forgot it inside of my file.
I wish one day you evolve into gyrados ;) .