Korean Chess

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
sphyrth
Party member

Korean Chess

Post by sphyrth »

Backstory: I wanted to play this variant on WinBoard but I couldn't find an open source engine that fits my needs of producing it. The rulesets are too weird for any Chinese Chess variant to adapt to.

So, as paradoxical as it may be, I found it easier for me to program this game with my beloved 2d engine. Being gone for so long, and with little knowledge about chess programming I have to thank the creator of Silver Chess for helping me set the backbone for my own style of code (and it's ugly).

Here you are (Note that you have to know the Rules of Korean Chess for you to even have an idea of what this game looks like. I'm only putting this up here for documentation purposes. I might forget it later on.
Latest.png
Latest.png (92.57 KiB) Viewed 12865 times
Latest Revision:
Korean Chess 0.3.love
(120.98 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
Previous Version:
Korean Chess 0.2.love
(243.32 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
Artwork for the Pieces in this Version:
Jasmin Scharrer (original artwork, http://jasminscharrer.com/),
Sebastian Pipping (post-processing, https://blog.hartwork.org/)
Last edited by sphyrth on Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
sphyrth
Party member

Re: Korean Chess

Post by sphyrth »

I revamped the code and the UI.

I got the new pieces from these guys. But I'm not sure how "proper attribution" actually works. Where should I put these in the code?
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

sphyrth wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:10 am I revamped the code and the UI.

I got the new pieces from these guys. But I'm not sure how "proper attribution" actually works. Where should I put these in the code?
Just testing the game out - very fluid gameplay! I really like the presentation and the general feel. Definitely feels professionally-done.

The new images are also really on-point. I wouldn't worry too much about the credits- just put them in the OP here and then in the game in a credits menu, or in a corner.

Great work!
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

Thanks for the info and the compliment! I'm gonna replace those assets with my own if I have the time, but for now they'll be in the OP.

One of the bugs I have to fix is that you can "pass" your turn even though you're under Check.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Looks cool. Found a small bug though: I reached a point where "the red general cannot be saved", then I pressed the rewind button and both generals flew off the board. Also, neither of the .love files work using drag and drop, it works only after extracting them to a folder (windows 10 x64, using supertoast).
I've done a little bit of chess programming before, so my suggestion would be to separate the logic from the love2d code, so that the game can run in pure Lua. There are several advantages to being able to run the game using pure Lua without any graphics, etc. Good luck!
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

ivan wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:30 am Looks cool. Found a small bug though: I reached a point where "the red general cannot be saved", then I pressed the rewind button and both generals flew off the board. Also, neither of the .love files work using drag and drop, it works only after extracting them to a folder (windows 10 x64, using supertoast).
That's probably one of the side-effects because I'm coding the game...
1. At work (0.9.2 on Windows 7 32-bit)
2. At home (0.10.2 on Linux Mint 18.2).

The main bug must be on trying to accommodate both mousepress buttons of "Baby Inspector" and "Super Toast".
I don't know about the "Flying Generals", though. I fixed it before, so I don't know why it still happens.
I've done a little bit of chess programming before, so my suggestion would be to separate the logic from the love2d code, so that the game can run in pure Lua. There are several advantages to being able to run the game using pure Lua without any graphics, etc. Good luck!
I am hoping that there will come a point that I will be able to do that. I've been reading through some Chess Programming Tutorials, and I found out that I'm too easily tempted to rush it to the GUI stuff. So, I think I'll just put in all the features I want before refactoring the code again.
Sir_Silver
Party member

Post by Sir_Silver »

Congrats on making your game =)
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

Here's some update:
1. I put out the Save and Load functions because they were "hidden" in the previous one. These functionalities are very clunky. For example, you have no limit as to how many games you can save, so it might mess up the UI. Be wary of that.
2. I'm now trying to learn Inkscape, so those are the new piece textures. I'll try and improve those things later on. Suppose there came a time that I want to release these assets under the Creative Commons License. How do I go about doing that?
Sir_Silver wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:56 am Congrats on making your game =)
And thank YOU for Silver Chess! :awesome:
Tricky
Citizen

Post by Tricky »

Now I must say I've never heard of this Korean variant of chess before, but having a quick readup on the rules you provided in that link, it does look interesting. Simple rules, but hard to play. Somehow I think these rules can be even harder to play than the western chess.
A rule in which I can even forsake my victory even when checkmating the enemy king causing a draw in stead of a victory in the process does scare me a little, but maybe that rule is not as harsh on the gameplay as it seems.
Which LÖVE version is this for? It does work on 0.10.2?
Tricky
Citizen

Post by Tricky »

I've taken a look at the game. ;)
I must say I love the simplistic approach of the game. Just show the allowed moves and go.
I do know the friend of mine I may need to challenge with this game.
As far as I could out I can now only play it with a friend just passing him the mouse whenever its his turn and giving it back to me when it's mine. Perhaps cooking up an AI so you can also play against the computer could be a true addition, although I gotta admit that this is one of the reasons I've never put my own card game "Pymtheg" into a digital version, so I can understand you didn't go down that road.

Still I want to thank you for enlightening me into a game I've never heard of, and which would still be unknown to me if it weren't for your efforts. :)