My First Game: Town

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
NobodysSon
Prole

Re: My First Game: Town

Post by NobodysSon »

This is great! Very nostalgic of the NES years and the countless hours I spent playing RPGs on it *wipes away tear*
Did you make the pixel art yourself? That is an area I struggle with for my own projects.
All in all a very promising start - keep developing it!
LudvickToba
Prole

Post by LudvickToba »

Mutos wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:50 am Very nice work, I appreciate, it reminds me of so many games I loved ^-^ How do you intend to do to expand the game world ? I've seen it was hard-coded in Lua, which allows for more complex data. Wouldn't be a level editor a good thing on such a game ?
Thanks for your feedback, I'm glad you liked it! I think for expanding the game itself, I'm gonna try to code a simple combat system like one in Final Fantasy where you see your character do the action you command. So for that I should start thinking about stats, items and formulas for attacks and defense.

As for a level editor it sounds like it would make my life a lot easier, but I never used one before. If you have any tutorials, programs or advice on those I would really like to know!
NobodysSon wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:20 am This is great! Very nostalgic of the NES years and the countless hours I spent playing RPGs on it *wipes away tear*
Did you make the pixel art yourself? That is an area I struggle with for my own projects.
All in all a very promising start - keep developing it!
Yup I did all the pixel art from the text box to the npcs and buildings themselves! What I like to do when designing these things is looking at screenshots of games I found visually appealing, study how they used line and colors to make up an object. I have a whole folder dedicated to pixel art I like!
Mutos
Prole

Post by Mutos »

Hi LudvickToba,

In fact I keep discovering great people making great games since I dropped on LÖVE2d's site, and having access to the code means you can see what others do, decide what you like or not and apply it to your own project ! I've already seen a few, and my insight into how to code in Lua grew a lot by reading them !

About level editors, you should try a few before, just to grok how they work, and see what features you like and don't like. Map editor may generate Lua code, or data files like XML, it's up to you to choose. Or btw, you could just search for existing editors, there are plenty, choose one you like and get your game data from its output format ^-^ Tim Conkling even suggested on Gamasutra to use a spreadsheet, write CSV and just build a simple converter to your own format. He made it with Excel, for me it would be LibreOffice Calc, but they spit out just the same CSVs ^-^
Benoît 'Mutos' Robin
Hoshikaze 2250, Sci-Fi universe in collaborative writing
NobodysSon
Prole

Post by NobodysSon »

As for a level editor it sounds like it would make my life a lot easier, but I never used one before. If you have any tutorials, programs or advice on those I would really like to know!
Depending on how complicated your map data is you could probably put together your own somewhat easily. I threw together a simple one for my project that is clunky and plain, but does what I need to do. I was going cross-eyed hand coding the maps as I'm sure you are too!

If you want to save time and try a pre-made editor Tiled mapeditor.org look promising though I haven't explored it very deeply myself.
Mutos
Prole

Post by Mutos »

Hi all,

Thanks NobodysSon, just went to see Tiled, and it even has a loader for LÖVE : STI, which stands for Simple Tiled Implementation. The only issue is, I just installed it and I got no clue as to where the heck are the samples, and I can't go anywhere without a simple tileset to boot... But it's late and I'll go to sleep, tomorrow there'll be light ^-^
Benoît 'Mutos' Robin
NobodysSon
Prole

Post by NobodysSon »

Mutos wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:03 pm Hi all,

Thanks NobodysSon, just went to see Tiled, and it even has a loader for LÖVE : STI, which stands for Simple Tiled Implementation. The only issue is, I just installed it and I got no clue as to where the heck are the samples, and I can't go anywhere without a simple tileset to boot... But it's late and I'll go to sleep, tomorrow there'll be light ^-^
Glad that you found the link useful, Mutos!
Mutos
Prole

Post by Mutos »

Hi NobodysSon,

Hope it'll be useful to LudvickToba, he needs it more than me ! I'll not use it just for now as I'm not making a tiled game, but I keep it in my trove of potentially useful references.
Benoît 'Mutos' Robin
LudvickToba
Prole

Post by LudvickToba »

Hi all! Thanks for all your advice and links are really helpful! I've looked into the Tiled editor and I'll probably be using that for future map making. It's really great to draw out the map and it spits out the all the data into one file, it'll save me lots of time and headaches. I had to originally draw out each map by hand and memorize the tile number of the pallet. xD