My First Game: Town

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
LudvickToba
Prole

My First Game: Town

Post by LudvickToba »

So this is the first playable thing I made after months of coding in lua. It's more than a milestone than it is a game though. I was aiming for a rpg like town like in final fantasy or dragon quest. Any criticism or tips on how to improve the design and coding of this is greatly appreciated!

Controls:
Arrow Keys: Movement
Z: Interact

Music used:
Ys 1 (PC 88) - Feena
Final Fantasy 3 (NES) - Village of the Ancients
Attachments
Town.zip
(44.8 MiB) Downloaded 259 times
screencap.PNG
screencap.PNG (23.39 KiB) Viewed 11224 times
town.love
(42.17 MiB) Downloaded 331 times
Last edited by LudvickToba on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ivan
Party member

Re: My First Game: Town

Post by ivan »

Good job, I like the mood of the game, it's very nostalgic.
However, you don't want to save your audio assets as WAVs.
Please convert these to a sensible format - preferably lossless
in fact, even midi might work well for this sort of game.
A prototype like this shouldn't be larger than 1-2 MB.
LudvickToba
Prole

Post by LudvickToba »

ivan wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:35 pm Please convert these to a sensible format - preferably lossless
in fact, even midi might work well for this sort of game.

A prototype like this shouldn't be larger than 1-2 MB.
I'll remember to use a different audio format for next time. :)

Also, how would you recommend decreasing the file size?
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

A good start would be to convert wav files to .ogg; doing that (although, admittedly, with little regards to quality; I used ffmpeg default settings and I can't hear the result) shrank the .love file to 3.2 MB. It would probably be a bit higher for a better quality, but I'd guess about 5MB at most.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Alternatively, although it's more work and it's not yet relevant since 0.11 is not out yet, when that hits, people will be able to actually generate their music realtime from tracker modules, or in other words, notational and instrument data, instead of stream-format files like mp3, wav or ogg. How that'll be possible is, of course, up to the coders, or those that may write lua libs for this purpose...
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Hikitsune-Red
Prole

Post by Hikitsune-Red »

zorg wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:23 pm Alternatively, although it's more work and it's not yet relevant since 0.11 is not out yet, when that hits, people will be able to actually generate their music realtime from tracker modules...
Is this not already a thing? I've used .it and .mod files in several personal projects.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Hikitsune-Red wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:01 pm
zorg wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:23 pm Alternatively, although it's more work and it's not yet relevant since 0.11 is not out yet, when that hits, people will be able to actually generate their music realtime from tracker modules...
Is this not already a thing? I've used .it and .mod files in several personal projects.
Currently, you can open and play those files back, but you have as much control over them as you have over stream formats like wav/ogg/mp3.

What i meant was that if anyone bothers (and i do, for one), we can have libs to load such files into memory, and have a greater control both in terms of playback (change playback speed/tempo as it is defined for the formats themselves, without pitch shifting that is; mute/solo specific channels; jump around the orders/timeline of patterns; etc.) and getting information out of them (getting the currently playing note/effect/instrument/etc. per-track and maybe incorporating that into games in some way).
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Mutos
Prole

Post by Mutos »

Hi LudvickToba,

Very nice work, I appreciate, it reminds me of so many games I loved ^-^ How do you intend to do to expand the game world ? I've seen it was hard-coded in Lua, which allows for more complex data. Wouldn't be a level editor a good thing on such a game ?

I also like the way you organized your folders structure, clean and neat, I'll pick inspiration from you when refactoring my own prototype ^-^
Benoît 'Mutos' Robin
Hoshikaze 2250, Sci-Fi universe in collaborative writing
Sir_Silver
Party member

Post by Sir_Silver »

Excellent job, keep working on it. =)
BlackDiamondPL
Prole

Post by BlackDiamondPL »

Downloaded, Played, Amazed.