Lovely Tactics Hex, a TRPG framework

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
GloamingCat
Prole

Lovely Tactics Hex, a TRPG framework

Post by GloamingCat »

Hello! I'm here to share with you what I've been working on for the last year. I was creating a tactical RPG when I decided to make some adaptions to turn it into a framework, so it would be helpful to develop any 2D TRPG. It's free and I'm making it only for fun and experience. You can see more details in my GitHub repository.

Here is the link to download the demo v0.2. It's only a single battle, and after it the player is teleported to a field where it may be freely controlled around the field (there's another character, but it doesn't do anything). Oh, and if you lose the battle, it doesn't show a "Game Over" in your face, so it's okay to lose.
v0.2 [Set 18, 2017]: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvfjrzogphr1z ... 2.zip?dl=0

In the demo v0.3 I implemented the field GUI with the options to see character stats, skills, items and equips. Also added quick save/load system (not working during battles). Also added a character you can chat with.
v0.3 [Fev 15, 2018]: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6scayhln8r0hc ... 3.zip?dl=0

In this demo v0.5 I made the intro of the demo game I'm developing using this engine. It also includes the database editor, (which I'm still slowly improving, but it's already functional).
v0.5 [Aug 1, 2019]: https://www.dropbox.com/s/17i1ek9adaw74 ... 5.zip?dl=0

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

If anyone is interested in the project, I'll accept any suggestions and help! :D
Last edited by GloamingCat on Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sphyrth
Party member

Re: Lovely Tactics Hex, a TRPG framework

Post by sphyrth »

I currently can't check it right now, but will the mechanics be similar to Shining Force? I'm a fan that game.
GloamingCat
Prole

Post by GloamingCat »

I never played Shining Force, but from what I heard of it, yes, you can say so xD Just without the mini-battle scene when a character attacks (which may be added with a plugin).
My main references are Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Trails in the Sky, though.
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

Forget about the Mini-battle Scene. Your game is great as it is.

The main thing I like about Shining Force is about Moving. It gives you the "feeling" moving freely even though it doesn't.
Sulunia
Party member

Post by Sulunia »

That's pretty solid bud, I like it.
Don't check my github! It contains thousands of lines of spaghetti code in many different languages cool software! :neko:
https://github.com/Sulunia
GloamingCat
Prole

Post by GloamingCat »

Hi!
And here just to tell that I launched another demo. I'll appreciate if anyone could test it and give me some feedback.
I added the link and description in the main post.

Thanks!
Tricky
Citizen

Post by Tricky »

Interesting project. I may even try it out soon (if I got the time) ;)
Say what license are you publishing this under? GPL? zlib? MPL? MIT?
Since you're turning this into a framework I guess it's your intention other devs use your framework to make something beautiful ;) and then the license is handy to know.
GloamingCat
Prole

Post by GloamingCat »

It's in the readme file in the repository. It's a restrictive license, but I intend to distribute the project under another (less restrictive, something like those you mentioned) one once it's finished. I chose this temporary license because I don't know very much about this stuff and I don't want to stress about it for now '^ヮ^
GloamingCat
Prole

Post by GloamingCat »

Hello! It's been a while, but I haven't stopped working on this project! :ultraglee:

I'm here the announce that I launched a new demo, this time including the beginning of a small game I'm creating using this engine. I've put the link in the main topic. I also updated the screenshots.

The new thing here is that I also included the database editor. It's still very slow and may have some small bugs (please let me know if you find one!), but I'm slowly improving it. Here is its the repository: https://github.com/GloamingCat/LTH-Editor

Also, I'm sorry for not providing a linux version, I'm still trying to fix some bugs in the editor. The code in the v0.5 demo, however, may be run in linux normally as a Löve project.

That's it, bye!
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Hey! This is really quite cool!

A few comments:
  • Some times it felt like I needed to click the mouse twice to make it register, while other times one time was enough. For example, in the Resolution menu on the start screen; or in the battle. Feels like right-click is more affected. This made the game feel unresponsive at times.
  • I don't think it's clear enough when a sub-menu is selected -- ie when I try to click out of the equip submenu by clicking on the other categories, it should let me.
  • The font looks good at x1.0 resolution, but the black border seems a bit too thick on x1.5 -- consider scaling the border size down with resolution.
Those are just some technical points. Overall - I really like tactical RPGs and I hope you continue developing this! I like the setting and art a lot. :)
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster