[Game] Not your usual platformer

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
unshowable
Prole

[Game] Not your usual platformer

Post by unshowable »

Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting here so I hope I get everything right. It's also my first game.

I first made it in Phaser (javascript) but it had some errors I didn't know how to fix, so I ported the game to LÖVE :) It's a simple platformer but you don't "jump", you'll see what I mean. The name's "Eugenio's Escape: A Game About Frustration" because my friends found it a bit frustrating!

The code, music and art are made by me. As you can see I am not a very good artist. I went for a "original game boy" type of look. Here are some screenshots: https://love2d.org/imgmirrur/6vbx2.html.

I hope you like it. It was fun making it, now I'm going to try new concepts with LÖVE!!
Attachments
eugeniosescape.love
for LÖVE 0.10.2
(131.88 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
0x25a0
Prole

Re: [Game] Not your usual platformer

Post by 0x25a0 »

Hey! Welcome to the forums :)

I like the randomized colour scheme, and the rooms have been very diverse so far, which is good. The music and sound effects fit the overall theme of the game very well :)

But, boy, is it challenging! I made it to this level before I gave up:

I'm glad that there are checkpoints at all, but I do think that they could be a little more frequent :)

Also, I think the spikes could use some balancing. They are currently very unpredictable, especially combined with the fast movement speed of the player. It feels unfair that they already kill you in situations like these:

Overall it's a nice little game :) It's challenging on different layers (there's the "platformer" part itself, but you also need to remember room layouts to know how to enter some of the rooms), and I don't mind that, but I do think that the spikes need some work to make the game less frustrating and more enjoyable :)
Pebsie
Party member

Post by Pebsie »

I like this! Loved VVVVVV and this has a very similar aesthetic and primary game mechanic. There's lots you can do with it.
I found the collision detection to be frustratingly unforgiving, though, as mentioned above.
Twitter: @Pebsiee http://twitter.com/pebsiee
Steam: pebsie
unshowable
Prole

Post by unshowable »

0x25a0 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:05 pm But, boy, is it challenging! I made it to this level before I gave up:
Hey, you got pretty far, there are not many more rooms.
Pebsie wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:56 pm I like this! Loved VVVVVV and this has a very similar aesthetic and primary game mechanic.
Ha! that was the name!! I remember playing a demo of that game years ago but I didn't know what it was called. My aim was to build something similar as how it was in my memory.

Thanks to all for downloading and playing, and I'm glad you liked it :)

I don't really know how to fix the collisions, as I made them with simple boxes from bump.lua