Lake generator

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
kbmonkey
Party member

Lake generator

Post by kbmonkey »

I've been playing this old pc-dos game called BassTour, I have fond memories playing it and I landed a few lunkers - albeit hooking my partner's hat some.

The lakes you fish in the game are all hand crafted, and it got me thinking about map generation. This technical demo uses cellular automata to make some good fishing lakes.
lakescreenshot.png
lakescreenshot.png (4.12 KiB) Viewed 4167 times
Attachments
lakegenerator-v2.love
(3.71 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
lakegenerator.love
(3.57 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
Last edited by kbmonkey on Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bananpermobil
Prole

Re: Lake generator

Post by bananpermobil »

oOOooh, sexy! and it is GNU-licensed! Oh my! Nice work on both the code and the demo, very easy to grasp!

The only problem I have with this is that I now have exactly zero excuses left for not starting my dungeon crawler...
kbmonkey
Party member

Post by kbmonkey »

Thanks! Speaking of dungeon crawlers, I ran across rotLove in my research and made a mental note to look it over one day. It might be useful :crazy:
bananpermobil
Prole

Post by bananpermobil »

kbmonkey wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:28 am Thanks! Speaking of dungeon crawlers, I ran across rotLove in my research and made a mental note to look it over one day. It might be useful :crazy:
I've seen that too, or rather, I've looked at the source project a long time ago when searching for js libs. If I'm ever making an old school rogue-like, that's probably what I'll be using!
kbmonkey
Party member

Post by kbmonkey »

I tweaked the code to produce more natural looking ground structures by filling in random blocks. The green areas would be shallow waters where vegetation grows. Latest source attached to the first post.
lakegen-anim-v2.gif
lakegen-anim-v2.gif (56.44 KiB) Viewed 4080 times