Lord of the Rings Battlecards

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
DanielPower
Prole

Re: Lord of the Rings Battlecards

Post by DanielPower » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:42 pm

Hi, I just played my first few matches. The mechanics are very well done, and I'm pretty impressed with the AI. I have run into a few issues though.

1. Consider handling AI on a separate thread so that the game doesn't completely freeze while waiting for the opponent to think.
2. Allow the player to see their cards on their opponent's turn.
3. Especially since the game has a fixed resolution, it should not force fullscreen.

Bug: This happened to me on my very first match, though I wasn't able to reproduce it on further matches. I played Aragorn with the default auto-choose deck. On my first turn I did nothing (I didn't yet know how to play). On my second turn I did nothing again. Once I had a full hand, I finally sacrificed a creature, and started playing cards from my hand. After this though, I did not receive any new cards from my deck at the beginning of my turn. I eventually had to quit to the menu and start a new match, since my hand was empty and I was not getting any new cards.

randomnovice
Prole

Post by randomnovice » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:14 am

Thanks, great feedback.

1. Yep, you're right. It's annoying having to wait to see cards etc. When I re-write the A.I. I'll definitely look into achieving this.
2. Yep, apart from Pass and Play, that makes sense.
3. Hmm, I suppose the ideal would be to look into adjusting to the screen resolution and working to that. I need to do some reading up on this and some learning!

Bug: It's possible this wasn't a bug if you were facing Thranduil as an opponent. Thranduil has an action card which "Imprisons" his opponent, meaning that they draw no cards at all for two turns (brutal I know!). Let me know if it repeats at all.

randomnovice
Prole

Post by randomnovice » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:58 am

Version 1.1 updated!

- Upgraded to Love version 11.0
- A.I. completely rewritten. It seems to run much faster now and you can change the speed all the way down to "50" thought cycles on the options screen.
- In Single Battle your hand is always visible. Click on cards/interact too.
- Adjusts to screen size resolution. (Note, this may make the cards distorted on some resolutions).
- Minor other bug fixes

Get the latest update here

Let me know any feedback. Also if there's any crashes with having updated to Love 11.0.