Pokemon Clone

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
napco
Party member

Re: Pokemon Clone

Post by napco »

Zelda! I'm planning to make a zelda (minish style) game after this one... You are right, i'm not using dt cause i can't understand it at all and (as you will see when i'll upload the .love) i'm not using animations, but only graphics.draws function to reduce the number of .png files. By the way i've just implemented the event feature (you can interact with other sprite to receive items, show messages etc...) and in a couple of days (or maybe tomorrow) i'll upload the .love. Why don't you open a topic for your Zelda? It will be interesting to see it!
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Delta Time is easy to understand. It's the number of seconds between the last frame and the current one. It's a fraction of a second of course. So you'd end up with dt being .018 or so. (50FPS fluctuates between .0189999999 and .02ish.)

number_of_pixels_per_second * dt

So 128 pixels per second would be 128 * .0189999999 which would end up being 2.4319999872 pixels to move per frame.

Note: dt as used by update and love.timer.getDelta() are the same thing. dt is just a conveniently located Delta variable to use in the update function and any other functions you pass it through.

I will open a topic for my game, don't you worry. I am eager to show it off and help others with their games. I decided I won't show anything more until I at least have a scripting prototype. Because without a good scripting system, a game is nothing.

Maybe that should be my goal for today. Yesterday it was the boomerang. Though I do have buggy bombs to fix first...
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

way off-topic but those libs are (or should be) dymamically linked on every os
napco
Party member

Post by napco »

Here i am with the second release. In short i've raised fps from 30 to 60, recoded everything, implemented a better event-interaction system, added collisions with map borders and other tiles (that aren't included in the demo) and now the game looks (from my point of view) a bit better. Ah! You can now download the .love file, so i'll wait for ANY comment (good or bad, as long as it can make me improve my programming skills)!
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Heh, this is shaping up quite lovely! :)
A little odd that we have to press space before it tells us space is a button though.
And I stood to the left of the guy that moves and it screwed up his movements. :ultraglee:
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Nice! You know what'd be really cool? If you could press space while the text is not completely on the screen, and it would be done right away -- especially useful if you are impatient, like me. ;)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Robin wrote:Nice! You know what'd be really cool? If you could press space while the text is not completely on the screen, and it would be done right away -- especially useful if you are impatient, like me. ;)
My engine does that actually. It was one of the first things I thought of when programming my dialog functions. "I'm gonna want some way to skip the slow typing." :ultrahappy:
napco
Party member

Post by napco »

Er ehm... Yes, i've forgot to tell the player to press space before the message starts... Well, now that you know that it's not a problem anymore... Regarding the "screwed up" movement it's normal! That map is only a test! By the way i've completed map transition and teleporting, so i'll upload a new demo soon (maybe with better mapping)! Thanks for the support!
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

im actually disappointed i cant play it right now it sounds great

ive got to catch them all!
napco
Party member

Post by napco »

Here's the third release with map teleporting and screen transitions (fade in/out etc...) implemented. I've made little improvements cause i've lost time programming a simple map editor to speed up mapping processes. If you are interested i can upload it too, just let me know. You can find the demo download link on top of page 1. In the next release i'll add a choice system and other little things before starting with the battle system and menu (a lot more complicated i think...).

If you are interested and want to give a hand you are welcome! I'm looking for some rippers: i need every pokemon sprite (front/back/menu icon) from platinum (not animated), and item icons...

Ah, and if you want some explanations about the code feel free to ask me! :ultrahappy: