Pixel-Me, the pixelart character generator

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Tassilo
Prole

Pixel-Me, the pixelart character generator

Post by Tassilo »

Hey, Lovers.
I just released my pixelart character generator Pixel-Me on Steam (and on itch.io beforehand). While I have been working on some (unreleased) games before, this was the first actual tool I ever made in Love. While I do miss access to a systemwide file-access and -requester, I know there is a way to add that using C++, will have to look into that.

Pixel-Me is probably the most sophisticated pixelart character-generation tool for an almost unlimited number of portraits.
Create outstanding pixelart-avatars for your Steam account and social media profiles; create striking images of your friends and family or use it to depict your team or for ingame-artwork.

During the last six years, I handcrafted hundreds of custom pixelart portraits, storing all the different parts created for these images. With a total now of over 700 elements like noses, beards, eyes and the likes this tool will allow you to create billions of diferent images of virtually any person.

I wrote my own custom color-picker for the tool. If anyone's interested, I'd be happy to share it.

You can get Pixel-Me on https://tassilo.itch.io/pixelme and https://store.steampowered.com/app/875460/PixelMe/

Best,
Tassilo
Tricky
Citizen

Re: Pixel-Me, the pixelart character generator

Post by Tricky »

Now THAT looks pretty interesting. As a matter of fact, I've a few concepts lying in which I can use such a tool.
Now € 14.99 is pricy, but this tool could be worth its money.
A few questions though.
  1. Do you have any documentation about the kind of license the portraits have? Like having to link to Pixel-me, or being used in either open-source games or close-sourced commercial games etc. etc. etc. I've plans for my own future (not just in game design but rather in other things) in which I can not afford any copyright claims on my person, so I always want this part to be sorted out well ;)
  2. Now the portraits I see all look pretty modern, like people we could meet today. Is there also a possibility for people from the past, like medieval noblemen or knights, or wizards, ancient priests, druids, barbarians, or Ghauls, ancient Germans, Romans, ancient Greek, Egyptian... well just any era people can think of? Since games are timeless when it comes to chosen settings, and there's hardly an era not covered in a game today (and then I didn't even count non-human fantasy characters like Elves and Dwarves). Perhaps I'm acting pretty spoiled now, but hey, never hurts to ask, right?
Overall, this looks like an easy tool to use... ;)