Endless Archery

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
orangeglo
Prole

Endless Archery

Post by orangeglo »

Endless Archery is a game of mine I've been porting from PICO-8 to Love2D. It's an arcade archery game, with endless procedural terrain. Check it out and let me know what you think! I'm primarily developing this for iOS, but I have Windows and Mac builds on itch.io!

Available November 14 on iOS! - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/endless ... 1390437916

https://epbarger.itch.io/endless-archery

Last edited by orangeglo on Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pospos
Citizen

Re: Endless Archery

Post by Pospos »

Well polished, good graphics, very good art, simple but effective concept, this game is great!
orangeglo
Prole

Post by orangeglo »

Pospos wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:29 pm Well polished, good graphics, very good art, simple but effective concept, this game is great!
Thank you for the kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed the game!
JoshGrams
Prole

Post by JoshGrams »

Yeah, nicely polished. Everything seems to fit together pretty well. I like how everything has an indicator in the top bar as well as in the world. The bar at the top left showing the exact angle and then the strength that you chose last shot in addition to the dotted line on the bow was particularly helpful. And the flags showing the wind speed as well as the top bar were great too. I can see I'm going to be playing a lot of this in short bursts.

The one thing I might change is to make the exclamation mark on the menu button show up for achievements as well as new themes. I was trying for the Pierce the Sky achievement, and kept wondering why it didn't give it to me, then finally I went and looked at the list and it was there, it just didn't show me a notification.

--Josh
orangeglo
Prole

Post by orangeglo »

JoshGrams wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:46 pm Yeah, nicely polished. Everything seems to fit together pretty well. I like how everything has an indicator in the top bar as well as in the world. The bar at the top left showing the exact angle and then the strength that you chose last shot in addition to the dotted line on the bow was particularly helpful. And the flags showing the wind speed as well as the top bar were great too. I can see I'm going to be playing a lot of this in short bursts.

The one thing I might change is to make the exclamation mark on the menu button show up for achievements as well as new themes. I was trying for the Pierce the Sky achievement, and kept wondering why it didn't give it to me, then finally I went and looked at the list and it was there, it just didn't show me a notification.

--Josh
Thanks for the feedback! Adding the notification icon for new achievements is on my list of things to do. I'll probably include it in the next update, so keep an eye out for that. FYI, if you have an iPhone, I'm happy to invite you to the iOS beta.
Pebsie
Party member

Post by Pebsie »

This is awesome. I demand it be put on Android!!!
Twitter: @Pebsiee http://twitter.com/pebsiee
Steam: pebsie
JoshGrams
Prole

Post by JoshGrams »

orangeglo wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:51 pm Adding the notification icon for new achievements is on my list of things to do. I'll probably include it in the next update, so keep an eye out for that. FYI, if you have an iPhone, I'm happy to invite you to the iOS beta.
Excellent. I don't have a cell phone at all, but I appreciate the thought.

Have you gotten all the achievements? I'm currently at hole 251, having spent 599 arrows, accuracy 41.9% and rising slowly, max streak 5 holes-in-one. So they seem reasonably possible, but I'm curious.
orangeglo
Prole

Post by orangeglo »

Pebsie wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:53 pm This is awesome. I demand it be put on Android!!!
Planning on it, just want to focus on iOS for now. But once that's out, I'll start looking into an Android build!
JoshGrams wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:08 pm Excellent. I don't have a cell phone at all, but I appreciate the thought.

Have you gotten all the achievements? I'm currently at hole 251, having spent 599 arrows, accuracy 41.9% and rising slowly, max streak 5 holes-in-one. So they seem reasonably possible, but I'm curious.
I haven't, mostly because I reset my game so often to test. Everything should be possible though. My accuracy is usually around 50%, so 65% for the final achievement is definitely challenging. By the way, do you have any ideas for more achievements?

FYI, the next build is going to introduce a scoring system, an improved tutorial, and some extra polish in some areas! Will probably release in a week or so.
JoshGrams
Prole

Post by JoshGrams »

orangeglo wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:59 pm By the way, do you have any ideas for more achievements?
Most of them are pretty generic. The two that stand out are Tricky Shot and especially Pierce the Sky. So I wonder if you could do more things that encourage you to try different trajectories. Maybe things like a low-power shot, or a low angle shot, or...would it be possible to have a hard one that requires the arrow to be curved around by a strong headwind so it lands heading left? Or "suicide" (hit yourself), or skimming the ground (just missing the peak when the target is on the back side of a hill)? If you had more environental objects (birds? planes? or maybe just the existing clouds) you could maybe do things like "Stay under the low storm clouds", "Your arrow passes above exactly N birds", "Shoot close enough to frighten a bird without hitting it", etc.

I don't know if any of those fit your vision for the game (or the amount of work you want to put in).

--Josh
Pkill-9
Prole

Post by Pkill-9 »

Is there a love file available so it can be run on Linux?